Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > scope for my AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 883

I agree with our 1x4 assessment. I used a 1x4 Leopold for many years and liked it. I am trying a Burris MTAC 1x4 and did not like the reticle when I first got it but the more I use it the better I like it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3005 Times on 2044 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
I agree with our 1x4 assessment. I used a 1x4 Leopold for many years and liked it. I am trying a Burris MTAC 1x4 and did not like the reticle when I first got it but the more I use it the better I like it.
Burris just makes Good Stuff!! sorry if that sounds "Too Simple" for most. I'm using the Heck out of our FF2 & FF3's,..next to Get a 332 or 536, or the MTAC with the Pepr mount and a FF on top,...The "Scope" for "Distant Reaching Out" and the Fast Fire for "closer" encounters....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Liked 2661 Times on 1565 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

thanks for all the input.

I have since purchased the bushnell ar optics 1-4 (I got both the reg. and illuminated). one, if not both will be going back.

I am a NOVICE in every way when it comes to scopes, and these are just my first impressions as I have not shot with the scopes yet.

I think the 1-4 (non illuminated) is going back. it is a very clear, bright scope for the $ imo. my problem is the reticle which imo, is FAR too busy to be effective. I just don't like it.....I also would have preferred they set the center bull for a 25 or 50 yard zero, and then just set maybe 2 other drop marks like 100 and 200, maybe 300. the reticle is too small and crowded and I think it will be a problem for closer work. I honestly would have preferred a simple crosshair.

the Illuminated has me interested, but I am not sold yet. at 1X the reticle is TINY with the FFP set up. some have said this is on purpose to act as a red dot. I can get behind this, but I have also read it gets washed out in bright daylight, which would make it useless for this application. lately, we have had many overcast days, so I haven't had a chance to try out full sunlight. I will report back when I get a look through it in full sunlight. EDIT: I don't have much hope though, because it is not really very bright on this overcast day today! the optic itself is compact (enough), a bit heavy....but overall clear and bright. and despite some making fun of it.....I REALLY like the power change lever...it works great imo.

the jury is still out on the bushnell for now. any other recommendations for an affordable 1-4 scope. it doesn't have to have illumination, but I want it to be quick, compact (less than 10" length) without an overly busy reticle.

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

anyone have any feed back on the BURRIS FULLFIELD TAC30?

thanks

Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #15

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Don't over look the weaver 1.5-6 . It is a 30mm body with a 32mm front lenes with a 223 bdc reticle with info for 4 different nato cartridge. Street price tends to be very low at around $178. I bought one for my AR build knowing its a china made scope but I am very pleased with it. Disregard the not very noticeable green logo marks and its a solid scope at a great price.

http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2013/09/staff-review-budget-optics-weaver-kaspa-1-5-6x32-scope/

Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
thanks for all the input.

I have since purchased the bushnell ar optics 1-4 (I got both the reg. and illuminated). one, if not both will be going back.

I am a NOVICE in every way when it comes to scopes, and these are just my first impressions as I have not shot with the scopes yet.

I think the 1-4 (non illuminated) is going back. it is a very clear, bright scope for the $ imo. my problem is the reticle which imo, is FAR too busy to be effective. I just don't like it.....I also would have preferred they set the center bull for a 25 or 50 yard zero, and then just set maybe 2 other drop marks like 100 and 200, maybe 300. the reticle is too small and crowded and I think it will be a problem for closer work. I honestly would have preferred a simple crosshair.

the Illuminated has me interested, but I am not sold yet. at 1X the reticle is TINY with the FFP set up. some have said this is on purpose to act as a red dot. I can get behind this, but I have also read it gets washed out in bright daylight, which would make it useless for this application. lately, we have had many overcast days, so I haven't had a chance to try out full sunlight. I will report back when I get a look through it in full sunlight. EDIT: I don't have much hope though, because it is not really very bright on this overcast day today! the optic itself is compact (enough), a bit heavy....but overall clear and bright. and despite some making fun of it.....I REALLY like the power change lever...it works great imo.

the jury is still out on the bushnell for now. any other recommendations for an affordable 1-4 scope. it doesn't have to have illumination, but I want it to be quick, compact (less than 10" length) without an overly busy reticle.

The old addage buy once cry once is especially true with optics as is kis (keep it simple). That's why my preferred optics are from trijicon either the acog or accupoint series.

The green chevron or mildot are ideal depending on need. The chevron I zero the tip for 100 then the apex under the tip is 200 and the base line is 300. Works welll for 556 or 308 at those ranges.

Other than that nothing really beats a simple duplex xhair or German #1 post if you can find em
Just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #17

well, i THINK i have settled on the nikon m 223 with the point blank reticle. saw it on sale $60 off reg price, and after being pleased looking through it, i took a chance.

pros: i like the reticle on initial impression, but i haven't shot with it yet.....some seem to dislike the reticle in opinions i've read. i like the simplicity of it. scope is VERY clear and bright imo.

cons: so far, from the perspective of not having shot it yet, the only con i see is it is a bit bigger than i would have liked.

i think its going to fill my needs as "irons" with some magnification. no co-witness, but i have a QD to remove quickly if needed.

i will definately report back when i get range experience.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
well, i THINK i have settled on the nikon m 223 with the point blank reticle. saw it on sale $60 off reg price, and after being pleased looking through it, i took a chance.

pros: i like the reticle on initial impression, but i haven't shot with it yet.....some seem to dislike the reticle in opinions i've read. i like the simplicity of it. scope is VERY clear and bright imo.

cons: so far, from the perspective of not having shot it yet, the only con i see is it is a bit bigger than i would have liked.

i think its going to fill my needs as "irons" with some magnification. no co-witness, but i have a QD to remove quickly if needed.

i will definately report back when i get range experience.
the m223 is an excellent choice especially if you take advantage of the spot on software...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #19

[QUOTE="hardluk1"]Don't over look the weaver 1.5-6 . It is a 30mm body with a 32mm front lenes with a 223 bdc reticle with info for 4 different nato cartridge. Street price tends to be very low at around $178. I bought one for my AR build knowing its a china made scope but I am very pleased with it. Disregard the not very noticeable green logo marks and its a solid scope at a great price. http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2013/09/staff-review-budget-optics-weaver-kaspa-1-5-6x32-scope/[/QUOTE

Some people( heh heh "Some People" prefer Cupcakes But I worship the Glorious MUFFIN!!!) the person that can tell me the chorus of THAT Song....oh sry. Topic drift...
The weavers are nice, so are the TruGlo's and the Leatherwood's as well. Saw the Nikon P-22 (not 223) in Wally yesterday...( no, still no 22LRs, but I scored some more Federal HST's, 2-20 rd. Plastic boxes). Wife bought me a five pack of Sheffield multi-Tools and a Pocket knife(6 blades). We also gave each other iTunes cards,..and I got her a memory card for her Birthday present(our new Toshiba HD video cam, for video during our SHOT show coverage...)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
anyone have any feed back on the BURRIS FULLFIELD TAC30? thanks
Hawk: it is "Supposed" to be a Great scope, my "Bullet" Guy has one with a fast fire II on his( he's why I got the FF III!)....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.