Scope Mounting Problem
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Scope Mounting Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Scope Mounting Problem

I recently purchased and installed Leupold two-piece Dual Dovetail bases and rings on a long-range Savage 112 BVSS rifle. I then mounted an inexpensive but normal Tasco 10-40x50 mm scope with a 1" tube that fits nicely in the rings. Everything is normal, right? No. The scope and barrel seem to be pointing in different directions and I can't get the POI's high enough, even with 0.025" shims under the rear base. I checked out the scope and elevation adjustments respond linearly between 0 and 30 MOA (I have a graph for anyone interested). With the scope elevation turned all the way up to 30 MOA, I can barely zero the rifle at 100 and 200 yds. Forget it beyond 200 yds. All POI's are way low. I am sure everything is installed correctly and torqued to 28 inch-pounds as recommended by Leupold. Leupold advertises the bases as for a Savage 10/110 round receiver but isn't a 110 round action equivalent to a 112 round action? A picture of the setup is attached. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong here?
scope-mounted-savage.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4626 Times on 3124 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

Have you checked the barrel specs? Heavy and sporter barrel mounts are not interchangeable, even within the same model like 112.

Last edited by Mercator; 01-24-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Need better pics but it appears the scope is very high. Are the rings marked for front rear?? I'm not hugely familiar with leupold two piece setups. Can you post a pic of how high the bell is off the barrel.

Its possible the rings are mismatched. The overhang on the rear base doesn't look right either.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The Leupold mounts are supposed to have windage screws on the rear base. Only the front ring is supposed to be dovetailed. The rear ring is supposed to be flat and the windage screws hold it in place. Unless there is another model, it appears you have 2 front bases and 2 front rings which will cause a mismatch.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/std-mounting-systems/std-savage-10110-round-rcvr-2-pc/

Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The Leupold mounts are supposed to have windage screws on the rear base. Only the front ring is supposed to be dovetailed. The rear ring is supposed to be flat and the windage screws hold it in place. Unless there is another model, it appears you have 2 front bases and 2 front rings which will cause a mismatch.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/std-mounting-systems/std-savage-10110-round-rcvr-2-pc/
No, he said it's a dual dovetail mount, which it looks to be.

Last edited by Mercator; 01-25-2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: thinking

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Quick answers

Here are quick answers to all of the questions and comments.

The Leupold "Standard" rear base has windage screws. The "Dual Dovetail" does not. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/dual-dovetail-mounting-systems/dd-savage-10110-round-rcvr-2-pc/

The rear base overhang is normal.

Yes, the scope is high. They are Leupold's "Super High" (1.00-inch-high) rings. The Leupold website gives the heights of all of their rings (same link as above). Super Highs were needed to clear the objective bell of the target scope. Still, there is only a few mm of clearance, especially with the scope covers on. A picture w/o covers is attached.

To my knowledge, there are not front and back rings. I believe they are both 1" high.

A target barrel may have a larger diameter than a sporter barrel so I guess it is possible that a mount may clear a sporter barrel and not a target barrel but, in either case, as long as you clear the barrel, you're good to go.

I have technical questions into both Leupold and Savage but have not received answers yet. We'll see what they have to say but, still, I'm looking for any ideas anyone may have.
scope-mount-showing-bell.jpg  

Last edited by dexntex; 01-25-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have never used the dual dovetail mounts. Every thing in the photo looks normal. Have you checked the rifle with a different scope? Have you tried an alignment bar in the rings?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The more I look at the picture, the more it seems you got the wrong set for this rifle. The line of sight is angled to the probable POI. I know a little about the Leupold mounts, two of my rifles gave them on now. Are you sure the DD mount is for your rifle at all? They are newer and cover fewer models. Mine are all traditional Leupold. If this doesn't make sense, please ignore.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The more I look at the picture, the more it seems you got the wrong set for this rifle. The line of sight is angled to the probable POI. I know a little about the Leupold mounts, two of my rifles gave them on now. Are you sure the DD mount is for your rifle at all? They are newer and cover fewer models. Mine are all traditional Leupold. If this doesn't make sense, please ignore.
Yes, this does make sense to me. If they are misaligned, why are they? These are what Leupold sells for the Model 110 which, at the present time, I believe is equivalent to the Model 112. Here is exactly how they are listed on the Leupold website: Bases are DD Savage 10/110 Round Rcvr 2-pc, Part #114975. Rings are DD 1-in Super High, Part #49919. So, these seem like the the right set for the rifle. I have also used DD bases and rings on another rifle and they have performed superbly. I don't know what is wrong on this rifle.

While I prefer to find out what's wrong, I'll settle for solving the problem even w/o knowing what's wrong. Are more shims the answer? I know this is not preferable for a scope. Does anyone know how much shimming stress a scope can take?

I AM thinking about trying another scope. Initially, I did have a 1" dowl in the rings but no scope alignment bar. With all of the shimming, I think the ring alignment would be screwed up anyway.

Last edited by dexntex; 01-25-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 64

If you can't get enough Elevation adjustment of Scope to bring Barrel Tip up to Target, then the Scope's angle is riding upwards(barrel tip is pointed down/Scope is pointing up). I had a problem like this before with Weaver Rings, but I couldn't get Barrel to come down(Scope was pointing downwards/Rifle tip going up). Great for distance shooting for 500yds, but I was Zeroing for 100yds. Looked at Rings and had to replace, as they were mismatched in packaging, and 1 Ring was a couple Millimeters taller than the other one.

I would just go out and get another set of Rings/Bases to replace to see if this cures problem. Even if from different Manufacturer.

Looking at picture, The Base hangover of the Rear just doesn't look correct, but may be due to these model of Rings. Is Receiver drilled same, and can you switch the Base/Ring Combo to see if this will clear up your problem, or is the Bases drilled differently to not be able to? I always try to eliminate/correct the easiest first.

Going back and thinging of another solution/problem. If this is a new Rifle, is it possible that Savage incorrectly Milled the Receiver and gave the Barrel too much droop? While Scope is fine, but Barrel is not on correct Plane to Receiver attachment.
Might also be a good scenerio to use Burris Signature Zee Rings w/0, 5, 10, 20 degree Inserts to correct.
Del

Last edited by Triumphman; 01-25-2014 at 06:27 PM.
dexntex Likes This