Scope/Mount Suggestion for CZ 455
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Scope/Mount Suggestion for CZ 455

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Default Scope/Mount Suggestion for CZ 455

I am about ready to purchase a CZ 455 combo with .22LR and .17HMR barrels. Have only had one .22LR bolt rifle before and have been craving something more accurate in that caliber. As a bonus I have been very curious about the .17HMR and its accuracy and range. This purchase would at least seem to satisfy both of those "needs",

Tried to read everything I could find on scopes and mounts for these light calibers, but I'm still confused. The 455 combo is running about $500, so I'd prefer to keep the whole riflle, scope, rings, accessory price under $1,000.

Any experience with this rifle or the .17HMR? Recommendations for scope/mount? Variable power? Useable range? Reticle type? Can I use a single scope with both barrels (realize it would require re-zeroing)?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

....Oh and my eyes are pretty decent (no eyewear except for reading), but at 52 not as sharp as they were 20 years ago. Seems like I appreciate more magnication than my 23 year old son.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #2

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

It is a cool idea, but the .22 and .17HMR will not have the same POI. I have a Marlin 917V w/ a Bushnell 4-12x42mmAO Trophy scope on it. You really need the magnification for little heads that pop up in the grass at 100+ yards.

edit, Sorry I forgot the mount/ Rings. The Marlin has a grooved receiver, and is drilled and tapped, it comes w/ weaver bases. I have a CZ527, but I feel better w/ the bases on my .17HMR compared to a small grooved receiver it has. The CZ is rock solid w/ CZ rings.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-21-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have a 452 with 11mm groves. I believe the 455 is the same. Use good quality steel rings and they will hold very well. The 2 barrels will not shoot the same. You would have to use 2 sets of scope and rings and witness the mounting point or make a chart for the corrections. A quality scope will return to the proper settings. Sight in with one barrel and zero the turrets. Switch barrels re sight but do not re zero the turrets. Write down your settings and when you switch barrels back return the scope to the zero settings and you should still be sighted in. I would go with an AO in 3-12, 4-12 or a 4-16 depending on how much magnification you want and how small a target you will be shooting at. I have a 3-12 x40 on my 452/22lr. I have been looking at a 22 mag and will put a 4-16 on it if I get it.
The big question is, how well will the 2 barrels return to the same battery when they are pulled and replaced? If screws are required, get an inch/pound torque wrench.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks JPATTERSONNH & JTJ - Good point about the POI/POA differences. I am having some second thoughts about the 455. Interesting to have both calibers, but probably better theory than practice. Repeatable performance may be the biggest drawback

I have have read a number of very positive comments about the CZ 453 with the set trigger. Might have the opportunity to shoot one this weekend to see how that feels and works.

Appreciate the rings info and I don't want to skimp there. I have wondered about the best optic size and power. Seems the 4-12x or 4.5-14x would be very useasble ranges. Looked at the Bushnell Trophy, Weavers and a couple of Nikons as an optic. A couple of the scopes I looked at have parallax adjustment that would be a bonus feature.

Decisions.......

~John Wooden

Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My 527 has the set trigger and I had to learn not to touch the trigger until I was ready to fire. If I found a 453 in 22mag I would grab it. You can still use the trigger without setting it and it will feel like the 452 or 455.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Chose CZ 453 and Elite 3200

Opted for the CZ 453 with set trigger and Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x 40mm AO scope, CZ rings. Cleaned, oiled and ready for the range as soon as I can get there.
cz453_01.jpg   cz453_02.jpg  

~John Wooden

Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am drooling on my keyboard. Enjoy it and post a range report.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Damn now I'm hooked...

Got out to the range Friday afternoon. So nice to shoot, I will have to have another soon. Posted range report over in that area.

~John Wooden