scope mount for russian sks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > scope mount for russian sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default scope mount for russian sks

Few different ideas here, should i replace the rear sight with a tac rail and put a sight there, or get a reciever mount? Will the reciever mount maintain its zero with the bolt carrier slamming into it? And with a reciever mount, would a recoil buffer to prevent metal on metal contact maintain a zero? Any other suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #2

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're not dead set on getting an optic for your SKS, you could also look into getting the Tech Sight. It's a little peep sight that you attach to the rear of the dust cover using the take down pin.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Well I'm looking at optics, its just i dont wanna put one on the reciever unless I got good feedback that the zero wont be affected. I'm not really looking at a high power scope or anything, maybe an acog or red dot sight, something good for 100yds, 150max. What is the techsight like?

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #4

Optic wise I think your best bet would probably be something like a side mount or the dust cover mount with the built in rail. They come a little to big and you just have to file some of the material away to make them fit properly. With that you could leave a little extra material to make sure that the cover has the least amount of wiggle room, at 150yards I don't really think that you would see a whole lot of issues with it done that way.

As far as the tech sights go, I can't really tell you all to much about them sadly. I can tell you that I haven't seen any negative reviews about the and everyone I've seen who's got them claims that its actually helped the, get a little more accuracy out of their rifle and that its not as hard to get a good sight alignment. If I had it my way, I'd have some for my SKS, but right noemi in the middle of a move so don't really want a package being sent to my current address only to not have it get here in time.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If your going to replace the bolt cover then make sure to get one that needs fitted or at the least one that has the set screws that allow you to tighten to the outside of the receiver. Personally I like the ones that replace the rear sight as they seem to stay in place better.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 659

Default Scope Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout View Post
Well I'm looking at optics, its just i dont wanna put one on the reciever unless I got good feedback that the zero wont be affected. I'm not really looking at a high power scope or anything, maybe an acog or red dot sight, something good for 100yds, 150max. What is the techsight like?
You will most likely have to fit the bolt cover to your rifle by filing the front where it slips into position. So I would recommed not to buy one that was previously installed on another rifle.

Last edited by Mongo; 07-11-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: detail

Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Optic wise I think your best bet would probably be something like a side mount or the dust cover mount with the built in rail. They come a little to big and you just have to file some of the material away to make them fit properly. With that you could leave a little extra material to make sure that the cover has the least amount of wiggle room, at 150yards I don't really think that you would see a whole lot of issues with it done that way.

As far as the tech sights go, I can't really tell you all to much about them sadly. I can tell you that I haven't seen any negative reviews about the and everyone I've seen who's got them claims that its actually helped the, get a little more accuracy out of their rifle and that its not as hard to get a good sight alignment. If I had it my way, I'd have some for my SKS, but right noemi in the middle of a move so don't really want a package being sent to my current address only to not have it get here in time.
Tech sights are like the peep hole thing like on some .303's right? I like you idea of a side mount actually, something like a dragonov where I could use the iron sights for clpse range and scope for more distance! I got something like that for my remington .22, the way the scope is set up i always have to aim off target at close ranges

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout

Tech sights are like the peep hole thing like on some .303's right? I like you idea of a side mount actually, something like a dragonov where I could use the iron sights for clpse range and scope for more distance! I got something like that for my remington .22, the way the scope is set up i always have to aim off target at close ranges

That's exactly what the tech sights are. Their like the rear sight of the M16A2s, least that's what they remind me of anyways.

As far as aiming stupidly low, that bugs the snot out of me too. I've been tempted on changing the zero on my .17hmr to 50 yards since that's where most the gophers seem to hang out. Only issue with doing that is its through my turrets off since their set for different yardages already.