scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons?

I have an a2 style rear sight but without the handle. I am wondering if I can find a scope mount to mount on my flat top but still allow me to use the irons. I know it will be higher but untill I get rid of the front aframe and go with an mbus set I want to try to make it work .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

You don't need to get rid of your front sight base. Most scopes that are over 4x will effectively be looking past your front sight and you won't see it through the scope. Get a folding rear sight and a good standard height scope mount.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So in that scenario I would remove the scope to use the irons? I actually have a scope I was fiddling with mounting and I did notice you barely see the front post. Would a better scope lessen that even more?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #4

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

See thru rings

Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Lotta stuff out there today. Some will sit high with the irons in the bottom of the FOV. Lotta electronic sights with some magnification that co-locate with the iron sights in the FOV and even if the dot is gone you can see thru the optics still using the irons. Maybe go to a gun shop that has some options mounted to gain some understanding, but don't buy till you come back and ask more questions.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You don't need to get rid of your front sight base. Most scopes that are over 4x will effectively be looking past your front sight and you won't see it through the scope. Get a folding rear sight and a good standard height scope mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeney View Post
So in that scenario I would remove the scope to use the irons? I actually have a scope I was fiddling with mounting and I did notice you barely see the front post. Would a better scope lessen that even more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
See thru rings
...or a QD (Quick Detach) mount.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2403 Times on 1299 Posts
Likes Given: 692

You will not realize the full accuracy potential without a good consistent cheek weld. Having sights set at 2 different heights defeats that. The front birdcage is easy to change out to a quad rail gas block or whatever you want. Mount your scope a the normal height and put 45 degree offset sights on if you want the fast back up. I use a 1-4x24 variable scope with no mounted back ups. I have back ups I can slap on if needed. you will need a forward offset scope mount to get proper eye relief.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

I had the same issue with my iron sight in front also. I got ahold of a BURRIS PEPR mount and it is amazing. Perfect for eye relief and only shows the sight on my 1-4 scope at the very bottom of the view.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6617 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6284

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
See thru rings
That's the way to go, IMHO.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 05-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunStyle View Post
I had the same issue with my iron sight in front also. I got ahold of a BURRIS PEPR mount and it is amazing. Perfect for eye relief and only shows the sight on my 1-4 scope at the very bottom of the view.
I agree, that is the one I use on almost all of my AR's both in 556 and 308. You can get the QD model if you need to use your iron in a hurry. The fixed runs about $70+ the QD about $100.