Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-mount-ar15-sit-above-irons-89488/)

greeney 04-24-2013 07:30 PM

scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons?

I have an a2 style rear sight but without the handle. I am wondering if I can find a scope mount to mount on my flat top but still allow me to use the irons. I know it will be higher but untill I get rid of the front aframe and go with an mbus set I want to try to make it work .

SSGN_Doc 04-24-2013 09:55 PM

You don't need to get rid of your front sight base. Most scopes that are over 4x will effectively be looking past your front sight and you won't see it through the scope. Get a folding rear sight and a good standard height scope mount.

greeney 04-24-2013 10:30 PM

So in that scenario I would remove the scope to use the irons? I actually have a scope I was fiddling with mounting and I did notice you barely see the front post. Would a better scope lessen that even more?

sniper762 04-25-2013 12:10 AM

See thru rings

HockaLouis 04-25-2013 12:25 AM

Lotta stuff out there today. Some will sit high with the irons in the bottom of the FOV. Lotta electronic sights with some magnification that co-locate with the iron sights in the FOV and even if the dot is gone you can see thru the optics still using the irons. Maybe go to a gun shop that has some options mounted to gain some understanding, but don't buy till you come back and ask more questions.

treehugger49 04-25-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1225746)
You don't need to get rid of your front sight base. Most scopes that are over 4x will effectively be looking past your front sight and you won't see it through the scope. Get a folding rear sight and a good standard height scope mount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeney (Post 1225808)
So in that scenario I would remove the scope to use the irons? I actually have a scope I was fiddling with mounting and I did notice you barely see the front post. Would a better scope lessen that even more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1225945)
See thru rings

...or a QD (Quick Detach) mount.

JTJ 04-25-2013 11:05 PM

You will not realize the full accuracy potential without a good consistent cheek weld. Having sights set at 2 different heights defeats that. The front birdcage is easy to change out to a quad rail gas block or whatever you want. Mount your scope a the normal height and put 45 degree offset sights on if you want the fast back up. I use a 1-4x24 variable scope with no mounted back ups. I have back ups I can slap on if needed. you will need a forward offset scope mount to get proper eye relief.

CajunStyle 05-01-2013 06:46 AM

I had the same issue with my iron sight in front also. I got ahold of a BURRIS PEPR mount and it is amazing. Perfect for eye relief and only shows the sight on my 1-4 scope at the very bottom of the view.

locutus 05-01-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1225746)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1225945)
See thru rings

That's the way to go, IMHO.:D

samnev 05-12-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunStyle (Post 1232825)
I had the same issue with my iron sight in front also. I got ahold of a BURRIS PEPR mount and it is amazing. Perfect for eye relief and only shows the sight on my 1-4 scope at the very bottom of the view.

I agree, that is the one I use on almost all of my AR's both in 556 and 308. You can get the QD model if you need to use your iron in a hurry. The fixed runs about $70+ the QD about $100.