Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope Modification to allow left eye/RH shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Scope Modification to allow left eye/RH shooting?

Not really sure how to phrase the question, but here is the situation:

A couple of years ago, I had a detatched retina in my right eye. While I can still see with it, it's not great. I can't use iron sights on my Mini-14 anymore.

I can see a bit through a scope, but not sure how it will be in an actual shooting/hunting situation in the field.

Trying to shoot left handed seems totally un-natural to me. I'm not sure that I will be able to shoot left handed.

What I am wondering is, is there any device/scope that I could get that would allow me to shoot right handed using my left eye?

One solution that I can picture is that of a small video camera that would attach to the rear of the scope and have a small monitor like you see on regular video cameras that swings out to the side where I could see it with my left eye while shooting right handed.

The other possible solution is a prism device like a binocular that would offset the view through the scope to the left enough to see through it with the left eye.

If anyone knows of a device that would help me out, I would be most gratefull!

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

looks like two were used to achieve the results in the pic on that particular scope/rifle combo.

GGG-1131 Offset Light Mount, Light Mount For Picatinny Rail

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The problem you desribe has been "solved" in the past with cross-handed stocks - at least that is on shotguns however the gun looks a mess and it is still a compromise. Changing scope mounts on a rifle to push the scope far enough across to comfortably shoot right-handed and left-eyed is again a poor compromise which still isn't going to feel "right" until you get used to it. If you accept that why not continue to try and shoot left-handed ? I am right handed but shoot left as my left eye is dominant. This does make a lot of sense if you think about it since you strongest hand / arm will be holding the weight of the rifle while your weaker hand only has the trigger to pull. It took me some time to get used to this way of shooting but right-handed now feels "wrong" even though as I said, I am right-handed.
Also for greater accurancy the scope needs to be as close to the barrel as possible lifting it to shoot left-eyed is a bad configuration.

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

you can theroretically off set the scope as far as you want this doesnt effect accuracy. it does effect point of impact when you shoot shorter or greater distances than your zero. for deer hunting as in whitetail ranges are seldom past 200 yards. typical distance somewhere between 75 to 125 yards. a zeroed at 100yards offset scope will vary the impact right/left by about 1.5 inches at 200yds-ish.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

With just a little practice,you should be able to shoot left handed.It will feel very awkward at first,but it just takes a little time for your brain and body to adjust to it.
I have always shot left handed-eye dominance thing-but I'm right handed.
I can shoot right handed,but it took a little practice time for me to get used to it.I'm almost as good at shooting right handed as I am left handed.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
looks like two were used to achieve the results in the pic on that particular scope/rifle combo.

JonM: Very interesting solution. Thanks!

I was thinking of something like this myself, but didn't know if the parts to do it were available. I was also concerned about the extra change in bullet impact due to the side offsetting. But realistically in a hunting situation, should not be that bif a deal.

Thanks also to Photopro!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=JonM;386210]looks like two were used to achieve the results in the pic on that particular scope/rifle combo.

[QUOTE]

D@mn it! I had a long reply, thanking JonM and photopro, and it disappeared into the ether.

Consider this, thanks, and a test.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Scope mount

It looks like they're redoing their website right now but, RW Hart & Sons has an offset scope mount to do exactly as you need. Pictured below, the idea is similar to the rifle mount pictured in a post above. If you call or email they might be able to lead you to more photos/descriptions. It is in their printed catalog too.

http://www.rwhart.com/index.asp

-Rick

Photo's copied from 2 yr. old thread on Benchrest Central-

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?51793-I-Need-Offset-Scope-Rings-Due-To-Bad-Neck

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 11-15-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Found photo on Google

Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

np good luck whichever way you go. my opinion converting to lefty is a better longtime solution. but the tools to do what ya want are out there

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #10

Just had my shoulder replaced and I guess it was a mess, doc told me from now on shoot left handed. he told me it woulld take a while but he did it so he said I could do it. I went out to the range a couple of weeks ago and set down at the bench to get use to it and if you give it a chance it will work. I realize you dont have a bench in the field but what I went out and got was a tripod for shooting like you see them using on the hunting shows, solved the problem right there. You can do it so dont give up on us we are behind you .

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee