Scope me out...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope me out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Scope me out...

Ok this is going to be a scope me out thread. I am going to give you a rifle and a budget for optics. I want you to give me your pick for a scope and and reason behind why you picked it.

The rifle
Action: Surgeon Short Action Single Shot
Trigger: Jewell no safety
Barrel: Krieger SS With a #14 Heavy Palma contour barrel finished at 30" chambered in get this 284 win with a tight neck.
Stock: McMillan A-5
Rings: Badger Ord. Max-50 rings

The use: This is going to be my F-class rifle and also a LONG RANGE Ground Hog buster (Like you didn't see that coming). F-class is shot at 800 900 and 1000 yards.

Now the Glass This is an F-class rifle which is shot prone at 800 900 and 1000 yards with any kind of front rest and a bag rear (where I am shooting).Ain't no 3-9x40 gonna cut it for glass on this rifle. Give me your pick if this was your rifle and why you picked it. The budget for the glass is $2900 I figure all together this project would be $4000 to $5000 total maybe a little more.

I have looked at Zeiss, Leupold mark 4 LR/T and ER/T, Schmidt and Bender, and IOR. This can be any scope you want for $2900 or less. Please justify your purchase.

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-01-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Might want to look into....

Nightforce
12-42 x 56Precision Benchrest

Competiton
Each of our Precision Benchrest models feature 56mm multi-coated lenses, providing the superior resolution necessary to distinguish fine detail at extremely long ranges. An adjustable objective allows extra-fine focus to adjust parallax from 25 yards to infinity.
Target turrets are calibrated in true .125 M.O.A. (1/8 click) values and can be re-indexed to zero after sighting in.
Both Precision Benchrest riflescopes are equipped with a coil spring plunger return system to maximize tracking accuracy. The eyepiece provides fast reticle focusing, and a glass-etched illuminated reticle provides optimum image/reticle contrast under virtually any lighting conditions.

-----------------------------------------------------------
$1360 at Midway, 8 reticles to choose from.
I havent used any of these myself Tango, but they've supposedly been doing excellent with up to 50BMG for long range competition.
Been researching the 5.5-22x Nightforce vs the 6.5-20 Mark4 for my LR hunting rifle.
A little more $ than the Leupold but may be worth it.
The 12-42 model pictured was designed specifically for long range target.
Plenty of magnification but can still dial down if the mirage is really thick.

Might want to check 'em out.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I know what this is going to sound like but here is what I would buy, because I did.

Nikon Monarch Mil Dot 4-16X42 Side focus 1/4 MOA and only $408 add $45 for rings and mounts and you're set. http://www.4scopes.com/monarch.htm?gclid=CNLP9teVm50CFR4Hagod4C15_w

Crisp, crystal clear optics. More light, brighter sight than the Leopold or Burris at the right price leaving bucks for other goodies. I compared all three side by side and chose this for my down range gopher killer.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I was also looking at Deon Optics March line of scopes as well they have taken the benchrest world by storm in the last few years.

That link goes right to the one I am looking at for this build. $2900 ED glass and all

Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
OK, I know what this is going to sound like but here is what I would buy, because I did.

Nikon Monarch Mil Dot 4-16X42 Side focus 1/4 MOA and only $408 add $45 for rings and mounts and you're set. Monarch

Crisp, crystal clear optics. More light, brighter sight than the Leopold or Burris at the right price leaving bucks for other goodies. I compared all three side by side and chose this for my down range gopher killer.

Excellent choice Dunner, I have this same Nikon Monarch Mil Dot on my Savage .270 and it sights in very well.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Guys - We are talking "F" Class here. This is where the BIG BOYS play. This isn't your average, run of the mill shoot.

Putting a 4 x 14 on your rifle is going to get you a guarantee of last place unless you are REALLY lucky or one hell of a shooter.

All the "F" class rifles that leave the shop have big dollar scopes, like Nightforce and S&B with powers that go up into the 30's and 40's on max power.

Several shooters even took top of the line scopes and sent them to Premier Reticles and had them enhanced even further. Premier is no longer in business. I believe it was one guy who did all the work himself, and he passed on a couple of years ago - but that is the type of science project these guys make out of their "hobby".

Now, for real world, in yo face type of information -

My boss, Don Rose, holds two world records for benchrest shooting, one at 600 yards and one at 1,000 yards.

His scope is a top of the line Leupold 6.5 x 25 that was boosted by Premier Reticles to have a maximum power of 50, though he rarely ever shot it at that setting unless it was a very cool day due to mirage.

Tango, I think you are in the right neighborhood with your projection on cost. To be competitive at that level of competition, I think you need to plan on spending just about as much on glass as you did on the rest of the gun.

I am looking forward to seeing this build come together!

JD

Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

As far as I know, Leupold is the LOWEST quality you'd look into for a scope. Schmidt and Bender and Nightforce being the only two real competitors in that game.

Dude, scrap that .284 thought! In F Class your gonna get 1,000 rounds outta that tube before it becomes an expensive pry bar. Just for hah ha's, check out the 6.5x55 BJ Improved. When I get rich and JD agrees to build mine on a Stiller Diamondback, that's the route I am taking.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 10-01-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #8

I realized I didn't give a choice when I posted before. I suck....

My first choice is usually to say Schmidt & Bender, because I believe they make the best scopes out there, my opinion, but they don't have a dedicated, long range, "F" Class style scope in their line up. The S&B's that have been put on guns from the shop have been modified for long range shooting.

I think a close second is this baby:

IOR Valdada's 9x36 56mm tube

I have looked thru this scope and it is amazing. Great clarity and a really, really well built scope. You would have to get a different reticle though, and IOR doesn't have a FINE duplex like some of the other scope markers.

I have never warmed up to Nightforce. I don't know why. A lot of people love them and swear by them. Especially in this type of long range shooting. I just get that whole "entitlement" feel about them and it's not some scope that is light years ahead of other brands.

They do have a scope that is perfect, in my mind, for this application and it's their Benchrest line with the 12 to 42 by 56mm that would serve you well.

I just never cared for them to be honest....*shrug*

Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
When I get rich and JD agrees to build mine on a Stiller Diamondback, that's the route I am taking.
You don't want me building it, you want my boss building it... LOL

And just anytime you are ready my friend.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You don't want me building it, you want my boss building it... LOL

And just anytime you are ready my friend.
Nah dude, I'll be your guineau pig project. Someone's gotta trust you sometime to build their junk. I trust you...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-