Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope issue: new zero and wind/elev knobs reversed??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

c3shooter: thanks

dillinger: thanks for the links. the leupold one you rpovded brings me to a search field. would you have the link to that article still?

Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry about that bro - Leupold apparently has a pretty good webmaster.

Here is the information, copied directly from Leupold:

How do I Zero the Windage and Elevation Dials After Sighting
Zeroing the Windage and Elevation Dials After Sighting In All Leupold scopes feature adjustment dials, either numbered or with an indicator, that can be repositioned to align the marked zero of the dial with the position indicator without changing the adjustment setting of the scope that was achieved when sighting in. This allows the shooter to know the original zero of the rifle in the event further adjustments are made in the field. To reposition the dials on Vari-X II and Fixed Power models, move the outermost dial so that the zero aligns with the stamped line indicator mark on the top of the adjustment screw that is perpendicular to the coin slot. Vari-X III models have a pointer dial that moves with the adjustment slot. This dial also can be moved independently to align with the zero on the outermost dial. To reposition this dial simply rotate it until the pointer is aligned with the zero. To reposition the dials on Target and Tactical models: 1. Loosen the set screws that surround the top of the knob until the cylinder turns freely. 2. Move the cylinder dial by hand to align the zero with the white perpendicular mark at the base of the cylinder. 3. Tighten the set screws until the cylinder is secure.

JD

Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #13

Irata: I think what you are trying to do, is sight your gun in and when your done you want to set the (marked) dial with the L and R back to zero without changing the adjustment. The picture you provided helps but I would rather have seen the marked dial face on instead of at an angle. Look very carefully at the dial and it should have a little slit in it and I mean little. This slit should go from the center to the outside edge of the dial. By putting something thin (finger nail) in the slit of the marked dial you should be able to turn the marked dial without turning the big coin slot. If there is not a slit then I am at a loss.

Dillinger must of been sending his post while I was typing mine. What he provided you was very correct (not that he needs me to codify him) except they are calling it a "slot".

Last edited by h2oking; 10-11-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oking View Post

Dillinger must of been sending his post while I was typing mine. What he provided you was very correct (not that he needs me to codify him) except they are calling it a "slot".
Thanks, but for the record, I got that from Leupold's website. I didn't write that, I just knew where to find it.

JD

Old 10-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Ram - I wouldn't pay that guy too much attention. His whole purpose here is to convince everyone he is the smartest guy in the internetz and everyone else is an idiot. If you would like a laugh some time, check out this thread of wisdom.JD

Oh...I understand....but I really needed to go to bed. This is my work weekend. Thanks for the HU though.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #16

well it turns out i do have a slit, but it is extremely small and from what i've tried so far, the slit or the base is not moveable at all, only the coin dial.

the manual staes that the target and airgun scopes have an allen key slot to remove the bases. apparently mine, the .22 riflescope, dosent apply here. ill wait to see if anyone can add anything here, if not im going to return this scope.

i shoot with a .22lr but nevertheless, and i relaize its range isnt capable of the farthest but nevertheless, using a scope that dosent allow you to rezero the dials is like asking to shoot with no wind at the same distance every single trip to the range.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #17

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img373/1001057rt3.jpg/1/][IMG

indent is on the right if you can see it

Old 10-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Properly labeled, the point of impact should move in the direction the arrows on the turrets indicate, no "interpretation" required.

In fact, with any sight, to move impact to the right, adjust the rear sight to the right, etc. Again, no interpretation needed.

Last edited by 1hole; 10-11-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #19

yep, i understand the clickage now.

i checked out a bushnell .22 riflescope today, the dials were the same. I dont think these scopes support rezeroing.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:01 AM   #20

Irata you are correct you cannot do what I thought you might be able to do. The new picture you sent does not show the slit/slot I was suggesting you might have. I will say one thing you have a good camera. I just thought of it dumb me, I am going to take a picture of one of mine and send it so hopefully you will see what I was refering too assuming my picture comes out good. You can see that the dial can be turned independent of the coin slot adjuster by the use of the slit. In this scope the slit is a bit bigger than most.

Ron

picture-234.jpg