Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope help please for new Henry lever action.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Scope help please for new Henry lever action.

Hello Everyone, I need some help on finding the right scope for my new Henry lever action. I am more of a pistol guy so the rifle stuff is kind of new to me. Any help on make/model of scope and tips on installation would be appreciated. I have listed the info below that was asked to be supplied. Thank you and take care. Ed

Price: around $500 for scope if possible
Use: mainly target, plinkng with the kids
Rifle: Henry Big Boy H006M
Caliber: 357 magnum
Variable scope preferred

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

On a Marlin 44Mag I once had, I used a Burris 3-9x40 (Rimfire) Scope. It was a Scope Burris sells as a Combo Pack(2 Scopes)for around $200. The other Scope I put on a 30-30.
I used a Rimfire Scope because I was using in deep Woods and Heavy Brush areas, where distance was no more than 30yds at most.
Scope was great and held up just fine under that little 44.
Another good little Scope that is new, is the Bushnell 1-4x28 w/BDC. These Scopes are more for AR's, but for a little Lever Action, they would look very good and be ideal for a Pistol Caliber Rifle.

Leupold, Vortex, Redfield also have some worth looking at in the 1-4x28 OR 2-7x32 Scopes that are also ideal for Lever Actions. I had a Redfield 2-7x32 on a 22Mag that was a Squirrel's worse enemy.

Some Folks, I've seen use a low-power Shotgun Scope and make Rifle into what is called a Scout Setup.
Del

Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Triumphman, thank you for your help bro. I will check those. Take care, Ed

HOTTY TODDY!!!!
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Unless you have extremely poor vision why would you put a scope on a very short range 357 chambered lever gun? A fixed power scope no more than four power is more than enough if your vision is so poor you need a scope.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Because I'm a 43 year old kid and have always wanted a cowboy rifle with a scope. I don't know a thing about them that is why I'm asking the people on here because they are so knowledgeable about it. I can talk pistols all day long but i cannot do the same with rifles. If it can take an inexpensive scope and still do the job of a higher priced scope then that works for me. I asked about a variable scope because I like to zoom in/out.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8053

I have a Henry Lever, too. I was told that a scope looks out of place on a 'cowboy rifle'. I decided to just learn to get really good with the open sights. I don't want my rifle to be embarrassed.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lol, good point. But the ones I saw on the Henry website looked really nice and I'm that big of a dork to do it.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8053

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Lol, good point. But the ones I saw on the Henry website looked really nice and I'm that big of a dork to do it.
I support your decision 100%. I wanted to scope mine, too, but changed my mind. It has a rail on it for scope so why not? You could always take it off, anyway. I hope you find the perfect scope for your incredibly awesome Henry Lever. Great rifles, aren't they?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks bro, yes they are. Very smooth action and the brass, wood and octagon barrell are beautiful. It made it well worth the price and wait, as mine took forever to get here. Be safe, Ed

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

nikon monarchs are superb 1-4x scopes.

i run that or a trijicon accupoint on my marlin 45-70 just depends on how i feel. both scopes are on adm qd mounts so they pop right on the rail when needed.

cowboys woulda used rails qd mounts and good optics if they had access to them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...