Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope height above bore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Scope height above bore

I have a Umarex Colt (Walther) C 4 22 cal with a NcStar 3 to 9x scope mounted on the carry handle....The center line of the scope is approx. 4 1/2 inches above the center line of the bore........I want to keep this appearance and still have reasonable accuracy from 25 to 100 yards.........................Any comments would be appreciated as to zeroing this scope to the rifle.

001.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think you will be ok after you get out to 100, but as high as that scope is, I dont see any way you can have 25 AND 100 in the formula.

My DPMS A-15 sets a lot lower, but it will shoot low at 50. Not bad, but some. After we get out to 100, then its ok.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Dan,

To be zeroed at 100 yards with the scope that high you are going to be hitting about 4 inches low at 25 yards. This because of the Line of Sight and the Line of the Bore. If that is what you want is a 100 yard zero which I would recommend, you will just have to hold for anything closer in. I know you seem to like the looks of it. Another issue with it being that high is accuracy since a good stock weld (Cheek position on the stock) is not hardly possible. Another consideration when you have the system like you have is tactical. If you ever have to shoot over cover your head is going to have to be way above the scope and the cover used to see through the scope. This creating a dangerous exposure situation should someone be shooting at you. You may want to change the set up someday in the future. And if you do some of us here will be glad to assist with explaining and walk you through it.

sabre-6.5-grendel.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-21-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
I think you will be ok after you get out to 100, but as high as that scope is, I dont see any way you can have 25 AND 100 in the formula.

My DPMS A-15 sets a lot lower, but it will shoot low at 50. Not bad, but some. After we get out to 100, then its ok.

Either you have very long arms or your mount is on backwards.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

"Either you have very long arms or your mount is on backwards"...JTJ, Everything is mounted correctly.........I have seen a lot of military 5.56 AR 15s and C 4s with scopes or other sight devices mounted on top of the carrying handle in combat situations................................Before I got the 22 cal AR style rifle I had "some experience" with M 16s with the iron sights on the carry handle (late 1960s).....No scopes back then.

I want to keep the carry handle on my 22 cal C 4 to the point that if I can't make the scope work, I will just use the iron sights as I want to shoot at 25 to 50 yards also.

By the way, I have a GSG AK 47 22 cal with a red/green dot scope mounted on the side mount and the scope is 3 1/2 inches above the c/l of the bore.....It is reasonably accurate at 25 to 50 yards and If I hold about 5 inches above at 100 yards it doesn't shoot bad at all.

I probably want too much with the scope arrangements I have.......I thank each of you for responding...

Dan

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The mount is on backwards in this picture. I got a good deal on this rifle, it was a patrol rifle. A-15, and the guy couldnt get attached to it and he offered it several times in the local classifieds. I finally called him and ended up getting the rifle, case, extra magazines, scope and 400 rounds of green tip ammo for $700. I brought it home and thought,,,this sucks, then studied it and saw that mount was backwards, and turned it around, now it works just fine. I put a magpul ring on it and use a Magpul single point sling on it now. Turning that mount around moved that scope up to even with the back of the receiver. Apparently, they dont teach this in cop school. I might add, that in this state, Face to Face transactions require no paperwork, and no taxes. Good deal.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01 View Post
"Either you have very long arms or your mount is on backwards"...JTJ, Everything is mounted correctly.........I have seen a lot of military 5.56 AR 15s and C 4s with scopes or other sight devices mounted on top of the carrying handle in combat situations................................Before I got the 22 cal AR style rifle I had "some experience" with M 16s with the iron sights on the carry handle (late 1960s).....No scopes back then.

I want to keep the carry handle on my 22 cal C 4 to the point that if I can't make the scope work, I will just use the iron sights as I want to shoot at 25 to 50 yards also.

By the way, I have a GSG AK 47 22 cal with a red/green dot scope mounted on the side mount and the scope is 3 1/2 inches above the c/l of the bore.....It is reasonably accurate at 25 to 50 yards and If I hold about 5 inches above at 100 yards it doesn't shoot bad at all.

I probably want too much with the scope arrangements I have.......I thank each of you for responding...

Dan
I was referring to Quantrill's rifle. The guy he bought it from put the mount on backwards.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."