Which scope do I need/should I use
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Which scope do I need/should I use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which scope do I need/should I use

Originally Posted by cpttango30
So you want a scope.
1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber
5. Variable or fixed power
6. Any other requirements you have.

If you give use these few items we will be able to guide you in the proper direction for optics. We are here to help.
I read this thread the other day and I have looked at the SWFA site. From what I have looked at, I have a few favorite brands so far: Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Zeiss, and Nikon. I have a few others but those are out of my price range. I will admit that even after browsing the site for the past few days, I am partial to Bushnell, Leupold, and Burris based on brand reputation and Nikon because my brother recommended it (he was a pmi at Parris Island) and he told me that for the money he believes that Nikon can stand next to some of the lower end Leupolds.

1. < or = $1,000.
2. hunting and possible light competition shooting
3. Browning X-Bolt Medallion
4. 30-06
5. Definitely variable power
6. I want a well rounded scope. Although I will be primarily hunting, I want a scope that is versatile enough to give me an opportunity to fair well at a competition. Some kind of BDC would be a huge plus to adjust on the fly.

Have fun sorting through this information. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

What type of distance are you think of shooting/competing?

The Browning is a great hunting rifle,but the sporter tapered barrel will limit the # of shots before the barrel will heat up and really affect the accuracy of the rifle for competition use.

You will get a different answer from everyone that responds as far as a brand of scope.Of the ones you listed,Zeiss would be at the top of the list.Zeiss has very good quality lenses in their scopes.
Next would be a close race between Leupold and Nikon.The Leupold VX3 line is a great scope,just over priced for what you get.The Nikon Monarch line is also a great scope,but I don't like the coatings they use on their lenses,they're darker than I like-to my eyes.
Bushnell would be next if it was the Elite line,they're great scopes with great glass,but Bushnell has been known to have Customer Service problems if you have any problems.
Burris would never make it on my list.

Sightron SIII & SII Big Sky series are great scopes,Vortex scopes seem to have a following around here.
You really need to go look thru as many brands of scopes as you can,and try to look at them outside and at distances that they will be used.Looking thru a scope inside a lit up store at a 30-40 yard range will tell you nothing about any scope.

The power of a scope will depend on how it will be used.My hunting scopes range from a 4x to 3-9x,3-12x,4-16x.While my Long Range scopes are 6-24x,and 8.5-25x.I do hunt with these also,but the field of view is limited at objects that are near you.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #3

Tx,

I live in South Carolina in the "low country". There are some clubs and areas around here that have 200-300 yard food plots that one may need to shoot across. However, I also want to be able to shoot 500-600 yards if need be for different areas as I might not live in South Carolina forever and for the possibility of sport/competition shooting. What exactly did you mean by "the sporter tapered barrel"?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The contour (taper) of the barrel just means that the O.D. of the barrel is larger at the chamber end and smaller at the muzzle end of the barrel.

On all of my target/long range guns,I have a Bull barrel.They measure 1.200" at the chamber end,and only taper down to 1.00" at the muzzle.
On an avg hunting rifle,they have Sporter barrels.They measure around 1.200" at the chamber end,and taper down to .650-.625".They are a lot thinner at the muzzle end,and the entire barrel heats up faster when shot.
As a barrel gets hot,it usually will loose accuracy.

And a thinner barrel heats up a lot faster than a thicker one.When a rifle is fired,harmonics vibrate through out the length of the barrel and produce what is called Barrel Whip,as the barrel gets hotter,the barrel whip increases and causes your groups to open up.

For Hunting a Sporter barrel is great because it cuts down on the rifles weight,and usually your not going to shoot more than a couple shots back to back.But for target shooting,you might be shooting a 10 shot string,and a sporter barrel will get hot enough to affect the shots.

Back to scopes-For hunting 200-300 yards a 3-9x or 4-12x would be adequate.But if you want to go 500-600,depending on how good your eyes are (Mine Sucks),I'd get something with more power.

I like my Sightron SIII 6-24X50 scopes,and have no problem hunting with them.6x does have it's problems at close ranges because the field of view is limited,but most deer I shoot are at least 100 yards away,and it doesn't really have an effect at that range for me.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

A Browning deserves a Leupold. I like the Vari X III 3.5 - 10 x 50mm for deer hunting.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
A Browning deserves a Leupold. I like the Vari X III 3.5 - 10 x 50mm for deer hunting.
Brand Snob!!! LOL

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

hillbilly is on point here. IMO, hunting rifles and target rifles are two different types of rifles. not saying you can't target shoot with your hunting rifle, or that you can't hunt with your target rifle. most of my rifles are used for shooting targets, but can still go hunting if i so desire. reason is, i just don't hunt like i use to years ago. (getting old!) i have several that in the future will be modified more for target shooting than hunting. this just my two cents worth on the subject.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

Default Can't shoot what you can't see

One thing I learned while hunting around the world is that most guns shoot fairly similar groups out the box (between 1-2 MOA). That being said you can't hit what you can't see. When I lived in Europe almost to the person every hunter I hunted with had 2-3 times the cost of their gun in optics.

You got a great gun it deserves good optics. The lowest end scope I would put on it is a Leupold and would likely pay the extra to go 3-12x 50 Zeiss or Swarovski. If you are anything like me you don't sell guns often and keep them for years. Over time what is a couple hundred more or less difference.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majog View Post
One thing I learned while hunting around the world is that most guns shoot fairly similar groups out the box (between 1-2 MOA). That being said you can't hit what you can't see. When I lived in Europe almost to the person every hunter I hunted with had 2-3 times the cost of their gun in optics.

You got a great gun it deserves good optics. The lowest end scope I would put on it is a Leupold and would likely pay the extra to go 3-12x 50 Zeiss or Swarovski. If you are anything like me you don't sell guns often and keep them for years. Over time what is a couple hundred more or less difference.
well i do agree with you for the most, but not everyone can afford even the lowest cost of these scopes. i agree that yoou should spend as much as possible on the scope. now there are some nice, very good scopes out there for a reasonable price, Nikon, Swift, Bushnell. Burris, and many more. Zeiss , Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender are very much top of the line scopes and probably out of reach for the average shooter. now if someone can afford such a scope and taken care of, it would more than likely be passed down to the grandkids!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #10

Default Price vs Value

While I agree that often the high end scopes are out of reach of most individuals, I was responding to the posting which started scopes under $1000 for a high end Browing rifle. I answered that in my opinion Leupold was the way to go but though if the person could afford just a bit more high end was the answer.

That having been said it never ceases to amaze me how many people will drop a $1000 or more on a gun and try to put a $500 or less scope on it. I ran into a guy at the range with a $4000 Barrett 50 cal and some "Russian" made crap for a 15x30 scope that cost a couple hundred bucks because he couldn't afford optics. Often it is a choice gun or optics. Call me strange but I start with optics and work down to the gun.

I hear you that Leupold and Nikon scopes are not bad but can't agree with Burris or Weaver. I just got talked into buying a new Weaver Grand Slam and have it for sale now as it is the worst scope I have ever owned. I do own an old Bushnell Ultimate Illuminator I have been very happy with though and while it can't compete with my Sarovski, it is not bad for under $1000.

I read somewhere that the average hunter and shooter is lucky to maintain a 2 MOA group at a hundred and go up expodentially for every 100 yards after that. For such a shooter, an average scope will be value. For someone looking to benchrest 500 yds or more or maintain sub MOA it will not be.

In the end I think it comes down to what looks good to you and what presents value to you. For some people value is in a high end gun and optics are secondary as long as it holds a zero. For others it is a combination of both and for others it is all about can I see what I want to hit.