which scope for the desert? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > which scope for the desert?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2290 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Keep your scope. Spend that money on a pair of high quality binoculars.
I never used my scope for spotting. I saw way too many "hunters" doing this and I dont like being looked at through a rifle scope. I carried binoculars.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #12

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I hunt in the Desert and thought I needed a big powerful scope. But reality is that you can't see deer to far when your on the ground because of the bushes, rocks or washes. If you hunt from say a side of a mountain or a hill looking over an area, chances are your not going to shoot anything over 300 yards so a good 3x9x 40 is probably the best scope to use. A good range finder is a plus when hunting in the desert from the side of a hill or mountain looking down on the valley floor

Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2290 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I hunt in the Desert and thought I needed a big powerful scope. But reality is that you can't see deer to far when your on the ground because of the bushes, rocks or washes. If you hunt from say a side of a mountain or a hill looking over an area, chances are your not going to shoot anything over 300 yards so a good 3x9x 40 is probably the best scope to use. A good range finder is a plus when hunting in the desert from the side of a hill or mountain looking down on the valley floor
Keep in mind 300 yards at an up or down angle is not the same as 300 yards on the flats. Depending on the angle the hold will be for a shorter range than on the flats. Bullet drop is figured from flat terrain or parallel to the earth. Probably wont matter much unless the angle is really steep.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #14

Your right about that for sure. Thats why you practice shooting up and down. And thats why I say to have a range finder. Big difference in bullet drop from from 75 yards and 100 yards

Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the 3-9 powered scope has been very popular for many years and IMO will be for many more, just because it's works quite well for small or large calibers.

i still have a couple of 3-9 powered scopes, but my favorites for my usage are the 4-12 powered scopes. strictly a personal preference.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #16

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

A 3-9x or a 4-12x would be the most I would.

There are no trees in the desert. So you are doing a lot of low walking and maybe some crawling. Having a huge scope that is triple the weight of a quality 3-9x or 4-12x will add up over a day of long walking. Plus if it heats up at all power is not your friend. When shooting F-class in the summer many times we have to crank down the power on scopes because of mirage.

Rifle scopes are NOT spotting scopes more hunters have been killed as the result of idiots using a rifle as a damn spotting scope.

Here are a few I would look at.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12648.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x50-Monarch-3-Riflescope-P61600.aspx

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P11092.aspx

Old 07-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #17

I like that sitetron with the hunter hold over. That might just be the ticket for out here. This next season is going to be a different hunt using a rifle, because I bow hunt out here and I'm tired of missing alot of shots because of the distance. And I'm glad you mentioned the heat because some years its still in the high 90's when hunting season starts and thats got to effect that scope heating up. This bushnell that came with rifle has been holding up in this heat and has stayed accurate but I want something just a tad better thats going to give me an edge to put meat on the table.