which scope for the desert?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > which scope for the desert?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default which scope for the desert?

I bought a Savage Hunter xp in 30-06 that came with a Bushnell scope mount to it.
3 x9 I believe. I will be hunting deer next season in the California desert. No big trees, can see for miles unless there is a mountain in the way. I also plan to hunt elk with it where its rolling hills and some trees. What is a good powered scope for both of these situations. Mostly will be hunting in the desert. Hunting the desert can be from one extreme to the next because of hunting in washes or overlooking a large valley. Most of my hunting was back in Louisiana where you couldn't see a 100 yards and you didn't need a big scope id you needed one at all. Confused on what to get if the 3x9 doesnt work out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

The 3-9x40 is the generic scope that does everything. Actually it is not a bad range. You will have to take it hunting and see whether you need more or less. I dont think mine ever left 3x in the field.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5534 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The 3-9x40 is the generic scope that does everything. Actually it is not a bad range. You will have to take it hunting and see whether you need more or less. I dont think mine ever left 3x in the field.

Another vote for the 3-9.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ANOTHER vote for 3-9x40. what about getting a sunshade as well? it might help with some glare near the desert.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

You may want to look at a 4-16 50mm for those long range shots.

Jim

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Don't be fooled by the "Big Empty". The game that lives in the desert and High Plains usually have to be stalked. They live their lives in arroyos and mesquite thickets. As posted the 3-9 or a simply 6X will work just fine.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1496 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 520

I quit using variable power scopes for hunting. I crank the scope up to full power using it for a spotting scope. Suddenly, a deer walks up to me 30 yards away. I try to take the shot with the scope at full power. All I can see is a spot of hair. I just did away with all the variable power scopes I owned and replaced them with 4x fixed power scopes. I am long in the tooth and can't see things like I used to. I still have no problems with long shots using a 4x fixed power scope. Not to mention fixed power scopes are a lot more durable.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm! A variable locked at 9X is a straight power scope. A 3-9 locked at 6X is a 6X power scope. Game so close all you can see is hair will have the same allusion in a 4 power. It seems if you are shooting this close with fading eyes a "Ghost" ring may be a good choice.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 2107 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Another vote for a 3-9. Useful at low powere for getting a wide field of view and seeing motion. good on high power to get some better target ID for anything in most folks realistic effective range.

Getting into too much higher power and mirage and motion can become exagerated, and distracting. Field of view becomes narrow.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Liked 709 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Keep your scope. Spend that money on a pair of high quality binoculars.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This