Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   which scope for the desert? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-desert-88395/)

Crazycastor 04-08-2013 12:50 AM

which scope for the desert?

I bought a Savage Hunter xp in 30-06 that came with a Bushnell scope mount to it.
3 x9 I believe. I will be hunting deer next season in the California desert. No big trees, can see for miles unless there is a mountain in the way. I also plan to hunt elk with it where its rolling hills and some trees. What is a good powered scope for both of these situations. Mostly will be hunting in the desert. Hunting the desert can be from one extreme to the next because of hunting in washes or overlooking a large valley. Most of my hunting was back in Louisiana where you couldn't see a 100 yards and you didn't need a big scope id you needed one at all. Confused on what to get if the 3x9 doesnt work out.

JTJ 04-08-2013 01:26 AM

The 3-9x40 is the generic scope that does everything.:rolleyes: Actually it is not a bad range. You will have to take it hunting and see whether you need more or less. I dont think mine ever left 3x in the field.

locutus 04-08-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1206839)
The 3-9x40 is the generic scope that does everything.:rolleyes: Actually it is not a bad range. You will have to take it hunting and see whether you need more or less. I dont think mine ever left 3x in the field.

Another vote for the 3-9.:)

antikythera 07-19-2013 03:54 PM

ANOTHER vote for 3-9x40. what about getting a sunshade as well? it might help with some glare near the desert.

bigjim 07-19-2013 04:09 PM

You may want to look at a 4-16 50mm for those long range shots.

Jim

nitestalker 07-19-2013 04:30 PM

Don't be fooled by the "Big Empty". The game that lives in the desert and High Plains usually have to be stalked. They live their lives in arroyos and mesquite thickets. As posted the 3-9 or a simply 6X will work just fine. :)

John_Deer 07-19-2013 04:33 PM

I quit using variable power scopes for hunting. I crank the scope up to full power using it for a spotting scope. Suddenly, a deer walks up to me 30 yards away. I try to take the shot with the scope at full power. All I can see is a spot of hair. I just did away with all the variable power scopes I owned and replaced them with 4x fixed power scopes. I am long in the tooth and can't see things like I used to. I still have no problems with long shots using a 4x fixed power scope. Not to mention fixed power scopes are a lot more durable.

nitestalker 07-19-2013 05:18 PM

Humm! A variable locked at 9X is a straight power scope. A 3-9 locked at 6X is a 6X power scope. Game so close all you can see is hair will have the same allusion in a 4 power. It seems if you are shooting this close with fading eyes a "Ghost" ring may be a good choice.:)

SSGN_Doc 07-19-2013 05:34 PM

Another vote for a 3-9. Useful at low powere for getting a wide field of view and seeing motion. good on high power to get some better target ID for anything in most folks realistic effective range.

Getting into too much higher power and mirage and motion can become exagerated, and distracting. Field of view becomes narrow.

hiwall 07-19-2013 07:17 PM

Keep your scope. Spend that money on a pair of high quality binoculars.