Scope Adjustment Cap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope Adjustment Cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Well I was out shooting the .22 this weekend, and when I got home to clean the gun, I noticed one of the adjustment caps was missing from the scope.

This scope is a Weaver model J4 from the '40s or '50s, made in El Paso TX.

Does anyone have an adjustment cap for this scope, or know where I can find one?

image-3323370352.jpg   image-40114591.jpg   image-991467256.jpg   image-3043069944.jpg  

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 11-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

being that old i doubt you will have good luck, try swapping any caps you can find at the LGS, or gun shows. if you find one from a new scope that happens to fit swap it and email the newer scope company for a replacment...

did you thoroughly search all your gear, and vehicle from that day?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
being that old i doubt you will have good luck, try swapping any caps you can find at the LGS, or gun shows. if you find one from a new scope that happens to fit swap it and email the newer scope company for a replacment...

did you thoroughly search all your gear, and vehicle from that day?
Yep I gave everything a twice-over, and it wasn't to be found. I drove to a gun show today, and had no luck. I'll keep looking.

-Matt

Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

When I come across any old scope that is deemed "unreliable" I strip it of all the parts I can. Over the years I have accumulated a shoebox full of scope parts and mounts. I know this doesn't help you right now but it's something everyone that collects guns should do. No matter how diligent you are things are going to break or come up missing.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
When I come across any old scope that is deemed "unreliable" I strip it of all the parts I can. Over the years I have accumulated a shoebox full of scope parts and mounts. I know this doesn't help you right now but it's something everyone that collects guns should do. No matter how diligent you are things are going to break or come up missing.
That's a good idea, I'm going to start doing that. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to spend $60 on a whole new scope.

-Matt

Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Not sure if you ever found a cap or not, but you might try this... Go on eBay or wherever and buy a replacement scope. Take the caps off of it (both of them) and then sell the scope at a slight loss. Say you pay $60 for it. Take the caps and sell it for $45 without the caps. The new owner will go into it knowing the caps are gone and probably won't care at that price point.

I've done that before with camera gear. I wanted a viewfinder for a particular focal length. The cheapest one was about $200. I bought a lens with the viewfinder for $375, took the viewfinder from the box and sold the lens without it for $250. I essentially got the viewfinder for $125. Sweet deal, yes?

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew
Not sure if you ever found a cap or not, but you might try this... Go on eBay or wherever and buy a replacement scope. Take the caps off of it (both of them) and then sell the scope at a slight loss. Say you pay $60 for it. Take the caps and sell it for $45 without the caps. The new owner will go into it knowing the caps are gone and probably won't care at that price point.

I've done that before with camera gear. I wanted a viewfinder for a particular focal length. The cheapest one was about $200. I bought a lens with the viewfinder for $375, took the viewfinder from the box and sold the lens without it for $250. I essentially got the viewfinder for $125. Sweet deal, yes?

Good call! I just might do that.

-Matt

Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2556 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Another option is if you have a tool shop close they can also tell you what thread it is in the existing cap you have. And maybe they could make you a duplicate. It is aluminum and easy to work with. Would not take long to produce one. Just an idea! You could use Birchwood Casey Aluma Black to put a finisn on it or paint it.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 11-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.