Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Scope Adjustment Cap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-adjustment-cap-75571/)

Blueguns 11-03-2012 05:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I was out shooting the .22 this weekend, and when I got home to clean the gun, I noticed one of the adjustment caps was missing from the scope.

This scope is a Weaver model J4 from the '40s or '50s, made in El Paso TX.

Does anyone have an adjustment cap for this scope, or know where I can find one?

jjfuller1 11-03-2012 07:17 PM

being that old i doubt you will have good luck, try swapping any caps you can find at the LGS, or gun shows. if you find one from a new scope that happens to fit swap it and email the newer scope company for a replacment...

did you thoroughly search all your gear, and vehicle from that day?

Blueguns 11-03-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1
being that old i doubt you will have good luck, try swapping any caps you can find at the LGS, or gun shows. if you find one from a new scope that happens to fit swap it and email the newer scope company for a replacment...

did you thoroughly search all your gear, and vehicle from that day?

Yep I gave everything a twice-over, and it wasn't to be found. I drove to a gun show today, and had no luck. I'll keep looking.

Old_Crow 11-04-2012 11:01 AM

When I come across any old scope that is deemed "unreliable" I strip it of all the parts I can. Over the years I have accumulated a shoebox full of scope parts and mounts. I know this doesn't help you right now but it's something everyone that collects guns should do. No matter how diligent you are things are going to break or come up missing.

Blueguns 11-04-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow
When I come across any old scope that is deemed "unreliable" I strip it of all the parts I can. Over the years I have accumulated a shoebox full of scope parts and mounts. I know this doesn't help you right now but it's something everyone that collects guns should do. No matter how diligent you are things are going to break or come up missing.

That's a good idea, I'm going to start doing that. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to spend $60 on a whole new scope.

heymatthew 11-13-2012 01:27 AM

Not sure if you ever found a cap or not, but you might try this... Go on eBay or wherever and buy a replacement scope. Take the caps off of it (both of them) and then sell the scope at a slight loss. Say you pay $60 for it. Take the caps and sell it for $45 without the caps. The new owner will go into it knowing the caps are gone and probably won't care at that price point.

I've done that before with camera gear. I wanted a viewfinder for a particular focal length. The cheapest one was about $200. I bought a lens with the viewfinder for $375, took the viewfinder from the box and sold the lens without it for $250. I essentially got the viewfinder for $125. Sweet deal, yes?

:D

Blueguns 11-17-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatthew
Not sure if you ever found a cap or not, but you might try this... Go on eBay or wherever and buy a replacement scope. Take the caps off of it (both of them) and then sell the scope at a slight loss. Say you pay $60 for it. Take the caps and sell it for $45 without the caps. The new owner will go into it knowing the caps are gone and probably won't care at that price point.

I've done that before with camera gear. I wanted a viewfinder for a particular focal length. The cheapest one was about $200. I bought a lens with the viewfinder for $375, took the viewfinder from the box and sold the lens without it for $250. I essentially got the viewfinder for $125. Sweet deal, yes?

:D

Good call! I just might do that.

Sniper03 11-17-2012 07:21 PM

Another option is if you have a tool shop close they can also tell you what thread it is in the existing cap you have. And maybe they could make you a duplicate. It is aluminum and easy to work with. Would not take long to produce one. Just an idea! You could use Birchwood Casey Aluma Black to put a finisn on it or paint it.