Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > scope for a .22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
stop by your LGS and take a look in the used section. i picked up a tasco 3x9. for 20 bucks. i bought it because after looking through it i couldnt believe the clarity. its on my bolt action .22 and so far so good. only hitting paper with it but hopefully soon i'll take some grey rats.
Good suggestion, I've also gotten a used, more expensive Nikon Buckmaster scope this way.
I bet that Tasco says it was made in Japan by the sound of the glass you're describing. Those are some very good, tough scopes. Tasco 3-9, Redfield "Wideview", Weaver K-4 or V-9(?), and Bushnell "SuperChief"(?) scopes were very popular back in my day on hunting rifles, and are still very good scopes today if you can find them and their seals are still intact, with no loss of gas. However, the glass coatings on Today's cheapest scopes are better than Yesterday's higher end scopes if you think about it, but those older scopes are still good scopes.
Del

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use a 4x fixed power scope. I have no problems hitting the attached target at 50 yards. In fact, to challenge myself I often shoot it at 70 yards. I don't have a bench. My idea of a bench is shooting from a standing position using a tree for a rest. I have a box stock 10/22 with a cheap scope (Simmons 22 mag 4x32), a 25 shot magazine and a muzzle brake. The muzzle brake only serves to keep the barrel from getting stuffed with dirt. When I target shoot I do the best I can to emulate hunting.

Edit: the target is larger than in the image. I print targets out on regular 8.5" x 11" printer paper.

25foot.jpg  

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-16-2012 at 04:48 AM.