Scope - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I figured it out. Just had to use my brain. Straight has an arrow now
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Got it out to the range the other day. Less than a box of ammo to get it dialed in

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #23

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperUSMC View Post
To me it seems like the way i see it that the bases r not straight. They have no play in them. This is my first scope setup
Remington 700's are infamous for having the scope mount holes in the receiver misaligned. I would remove everything and check them by installing the screws back into the tapped holes about half way, then put a straight edge against them. If the edge doesn't go straight down the center of the bore.....you have an issue.

Option 1....drill and tap to accept 8x32 screws...(gunsmith recommended)
Option 2.....send the rifle back to Remington.

You have a rifle that is capable of extreme long range accuracy. Most of us in the precision rifle world begin by trashing the Hogue over molded stock. We do this because it is impossible to bed properly, due to its plastic internal construction. If you will notice, with the rifle on a bi-pod, the stock is so soft it will contact your barrel.

Next, while the Nikon is serviceable, it is not the glass that is best for LR. Go to snipershide.com and lurk to become educated on how to properly set up this rifle to realize it's full potential,...or...have fun with it as is. I improved my SPS TAC to get out there where the demons live....it's a lot of fun and addicting to get .3 MOA out to 800 yards and beyond.

Last edited by crockett007; 03-17-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #24

Liked 96 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Casper,
Most has already been said! I have several different brands of scopes. But the bottom line for the money a guy can't beat NIKON! I have a few of them also and would with out reluctance buy another one if needed! You can't go Wrong! The only imorvement a guy could make to any scope is to go with a 30MM Tube. Once you use one you are spoiled!

Can you elaborate on the 30mm tube for a scope newbie? Turns out that's what I just bought for my .308, a Vortex 2.5-10x with a 30mm tube. But what makes the 30mm tube better than others?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 744 Times on 497 Posts

It's just bigger than a 1" allowing the smarty pants optics engineers to fit more good stuff in your scope. In theory you'll have a brighter, clearer scope that performs better everything else being equal.

Someone else feel free to add some technical intelligence to my comments. 😁

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #26

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

One inch is 24mm. I like 30mm tubes for shotgun scopes. My 24mm shotgun scope has a 33 foot field of view at 100 yards. I don't recall the exact field of view for the 30mm scope but it is noticeably larger.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Nice setup crockett. Too bad that is out of my price range. I would love to build my rifle to be like the Marine Corps version. I went with the nikon cause it was good glass for the right price. The glass i really want is a mk8 or 4 from leupold. I know there r betta stocks out there. Once again outta my price range. With the set up i got i know i can touch out to 500. Hell i can do that iron sights on an ar. I only have 100yrd range to use. One thats close an affordable anyway. My main purpose is fun an hog buster. That is the only animal i can hunt with that in my state. Maybe one day ill be able to use her in another state.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #28

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperUSMC View Post
Nice setup crockett. Too bad that is out of my price range. I would love to build my rifle to be like the Marine Corps version. I went with the nikon cause it was good glass for the right price. The glass i really want is a mk8 or 4 from leupold. I know there r betta stocks out there. Once again outta my price range. With the set up i got i know i can touch out to 500. Hell i can do that iron sights on an ar. I only have 100yrd range to use. One thats close an affordable anyway. My main purpose is fun an hog buster. That is the only animal i can hunt with that in my state. Maybe one day ill be able to use her in another state.
I understand your point. But, I'm not Bill Gates, I am a workin' joe on a budget just like you. This gear IS within your range.....just not now. The rifle you see pictured is the product of over two years of careful budgeting, trading and saving. Be patient, save, trade, and sell your way to your goal rifle.IT CAN BE DONE
sandog Likes This 
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #29

Liked 209 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Like crockett says, it might take you a while to find ways to improve your rifle gradually, and as your wallet allows, gradually, but you'll eventually have the rifle of your dreams. I started out with a cheapo M700 SPS, mainly because it was a great varmint weight barreled action available in a left hand bolt. A much better stock and trigger for it will be here next week. I put a scope on it that I can afford for now, but eventually will get some high dollar glass for it. It just takes time !
locutus Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thank u for the motivation guys.