Riser

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Riser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Riser

Can you get a short, say 2 or 1 inch long X 1/4 high riser for a picatinny rail. I need to raise my buis rear sight by that much, so it will absolute co- witness with my reflex sight.

I thought I saw one somewhere, but I cannot find it now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yankee Hill Machine makes risers but they are 1/2" high not sure if anybody makes a 1/4".
I'd try Brownells

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

You need to do that with the optic mount not the irons themselves

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You need to do that with the optic mount not the irons themselves
I am a dummy sometimes and dislexic at best. I have shot the AR for many years but never tried to do what I am doing now, having a holo sight and a back up iron.

Today, I got to thinking, (scary) but I measued my original A2 sight, and my new Back up. My back up needs to be lower not higher. However I am going to correct this, by not jacking up the holo sight, but installing a extended post front sight. It is in fact 1/8 of an inch longer, and will get me co-witnessed, with out any riser.

Now having said that, I am betting that I will have my dot on the holo, a bit down into the raised front sight post. I will still see the target, but not an optimal situation. So if this proves to be true, I will put a 4 sided gas block, replacing the front sight, and get a flip up front sight.

To me absolute co-witness just seems correct. Anything less, is putting in a guessing game.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Got the extended front sight post installed and went shooting yesterday. I now have a perfect absolute co-witness, and I can keep the original, front sight. The front sight post is right at the top of the sight rails, so it is just right at my holo dot. I done a new 25 meter battlesight zero, and went to the 100 yard range. Other than the fact that I have a tick in my right arm and hand from years of running power tools and airguns, I was hitting well, considering. I do love the holo sight. Perfect for a guy with aging eyes. I just guess, at my age I have to do the civil war thing. Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes. LOL

Last edited by Ruger52; 10-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.