Rings and Mount Brand/Setup help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Rings and Mount Brand/Setup help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rings and Mount Brand/Setup help

Hi

I want to install a US Optic scope St-10Pal on a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range 308. I am looking for a set of rings and base that can take abuse. Do you have any advice on a setup that would work best?

Want to spend around $300 for both rings and base.

Any help would be great

Last edited by max344; 01-15-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

If its got a rail which I suspect it has, my preference are american defense manufacturing mounts. I use their qd mounts on pretty much everything and they hold zero under very heavy recoil and return to zero when detached and reattached without damaging the rail like larue mounts do.

Next in line are the nightforce rings.

Followed very close leupold warne and a few others.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #3

What do you think of....

1.NightForce UltraLite Remington 700 Short-Action direct mount.

2.Us Optics windage adjustable low rings mounted on Us Optics Picatinny-Style Scope Base.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by max344 View Post
What do you think of....

1.NightForce UltraLite Remington 700 Short-Action direct mount.

2.Us Optics windage adjustable low rings mounted on Us Optics Picatinny-Style Scope Base.
Both companies are excellent sources of rings

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #5

Would one have any advantages over the other ?

direct mount .vs. rings & base

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The reason I use quick detach mounts from adm is it's easier to work on a rifle or clean it without the optic in the way. I also like using optics on different guns.

Some of my rifles use tradtional rings and bases which I find more of pain if there is a need to remove the optic you have to go back and rezero.

When traveling it's nice to be able to stuff more rifles in a case without the optic and know it's going to rezero when you get where you are going

Other than that long as you stay away from cheap rings like weaver Redfield etc your fine and there isn't much diff in quality. Redfield and weaver used to be gold standard but it's all cheaply made in Asia these days.

Windage adjustable rings allow you to zero with mechanical zero in the middle leaving you max windage in either direction.

Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by max344 View Post
Would one have any advantages over the other ?

direct mount .vs. rings & base
OH YES!

Rings & Base are 3 separate pieces that need to come together and form a union, and if any one of these pieces is machined out of alignment, you won't have a centered, on-same-plane alignment, which will torque, bend, or damage the Scope and keep it from being over the "Center-Bore" of Rifle.
The Rings and Bases of Today are machined, or CNC'd much better than their older counterparts, but you still have the possibility of a Scope being damaged if not watching carefully with installation.

Now, with 1-piece Ring/Base Combination, you have a machined(actually CNC'd) piece of metal that is cut in a precise way that everything is center-bored to within around .001"-.005" of each other. This gives you BETTER than what any separate Base and Rings will give you, which is why 1-piece Mounts cost twice to 4 times more for good to very good Scope Mount systems.
Go with Leupold, Warne, Dead Nutz, Burris and other top mount systems and don't look back. These Mounts will run around $200 to $500. And using a US Optic Scope, you'll want quality.

Use Blue Loktite for the Base Screws(only) and Torque down to recommended and you will have a very stable Mount. Also make sure the Base Screws are Steel and not some form of Aluminum by using Magnet to test, for the strongest Union to not break off over time. This will also not set up Galvanization of Corrosion of 2 different Metals.
I also like to run some Clear Nail Polish over the top of Base Screws and under the Mount Base, to keep out corrosion from getting into Joint if this is a permanent situation.

Del

Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

I can't accept one piece mounts because they are in the way when I am loading the gun. Most of the time I just wipe my gun down after I use it to remove fingerprints. One of the places that needs wiping down is inside the receiver where I have loaded the gun. A one piece mount makes it much harder to get a rag in the receiver.

I use weaver mounts most of the time. I always check my gun when I take the scope off it. I can't recall that last time I had to adjust the scope because I took it off the gun. I will admit I am not a benchrest shooter. The only time I shoot my gun off a bench is to sight it in. I also shoot off a bench to make sure my scope has not drifted. I am a hunter. There are no benches in the woods, only a improvised rest.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I can't accept one piece mounts because they are in the way when I am loading the gun. Most of the time I just wipe my gun down after I use it to remove fingerprints. One of the places that needs wiping down is inside the receiver where I have loaded the gun. A one piece mount makes it much harder to get a rag in the receiver.

I use weaver mounts most of the time. I always check my gun when I take the scope off it. I can't recall that last time I had to adjust the scope because I took it off the gun. I will admit I am not a benchrest shooter. The only time I shoot my gun off a bench is to sight it in. I also shoot off a bench to make sure my scope has not drifted. I am a hunter. There are no benches in the woods, only a improvised rest.
I too like Weaver Mounts, but for my 30-06 I used Leupold Mounts for the Base and Rings. Long story why I got Leupold, but they've worked and I'm not changing them.
Any way I've used Weaver Mounts for over 40yrs and never had any problems with them except for the 30-06. All other Rifles I use the 2-piece Bases with either Quad-Lok Rings which are combo Steel Straps and Aluminum Undercarriage or the Steel Grand Slam Rings. They're both very well made components.
However, if you like taking off your Scope easily to use Irons periodically, then I would recommend some Quick Release Ring Mounts in Leupold, Warne or other high quality type Rings to help keep any alignment issues.

Just beware of any QD's that are made for Picatinney Mounts because they might not work on Weaver Bases(narrower design), UNLESS the QD Rings specify that they will fit Weaver Mounts, which will allow them to clamp tight enough.
Del

Old 01-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

here are some mounting options that might be of interest to you for your rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimension id=8595