Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Rifle Scope Varification and Tracking Drill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Default Rifle Scope Varification and Tracking Drill

Due to my recent past issue with the stuck reticle. It brought to mind a Scope Verification Tracking Drill we have used in the sniper schools for years and also was the one that I used to varify that the Reticle problem I experienced was totally resolved. I thought I would share it with those that have not seen or used this procedure before. This is also a test that unfortunately a lot of inexpensive scopes can not pass. But it is very important to the Designated Marksman, Predator, Varmint Hunter, LE Observer Sniper or Competitive Shooter that the scope returns time after time to zero or previous distance settings. I have attached a sample of the target. It is important that the squares on the grid be exactly 1 inch squares. The X can be centered on a line as the sample is or in the center of the open blocks. The sample obviously is not to scale. But hopefully you will get the idea.

Sniper 03

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-06-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Sorry having trouble downloading the Tracking Drill

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i know the drill your talking about. i find it very useful. only got two scopes that can pass. a nightforce nxs and a leupold mk4. none of my other scopes including my vx7 leupold and nikons track true to their declared values

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Sorry having trouble downloading the Tracking Drill

Sounds interesting!!! I hope you get it to download.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm also interested. I read your post about the stuck cross hairs and I feel for you.
I've experienced similar.

This scope first had cross-hair drift, then cracked the glass then snapped the cross-hairs.
"A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work..." Yes... but barely.

This POS scope was my first and broke it with my 458 SOCOM. I know better now.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101