Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Review: IOR Valdada 3-18X40 FFP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Review: IOR Valdada 3-18X40 FFP

Ive been needing to write this review for a while now, just been putting it off. Along about February of this year my smith started on my .260 rem precision rifle based on a rem 700 short action, and soon thereafter i started out on an research mission to find quality glass to go on top of it. ( http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/260-remington-model-700-target-project-22908/ )

After alot of help from members here i decided on the on the IOR Valdada 3-18X40 First Focal Plane scope with the MP-8 reticule. I got my rifle back sometime in July, and within 2 weeks i placed an order for my scope with Scott at Liberty Optics, Scott is awesome to deal with, and i highly recommend him and his company.

A few days later i had my new IOR, and my first impression was "dam this thing is heavy duty" I never realized just hoe big a 35mm main tube actually was.

I really like this scope for alot of reasons, first off the clarity of the glass is a 10 its the best ive ever looked through, even in lower light conditions.

This scope is a First Focal Plane scope (the mill hash marks can be used to range a target at any magnification) The MP-8 Dot reticule has a new take on the standard Mill Dot reticule, it doesn't have dots, it has hash marks that make precise measurements much easier. The reticule and the adjustments are both in Mils, so there is no math involved in impact correction, or lead/holdover. The elevation knob also has 10mils per revolution, so there is no getting lost when making long range adjustments.

The advertised adjustment for this scope was 22 mil elevation, and mine comes in at about 20 so that is slightly disappointing, but still more than enough to get out to 1k with a 20 moa base.

Im sure i forgot something important.

phone-pictures-054.jpg   phone-pictures-055.jpg   phone-pictures-058.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great looking stick Hot!

I now have bolt gun envy! My 96 year old 8mm Mauser is somehow not doing it for me after your post.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cane dont let the bug bite you. Its fun but just like they say about race cars, Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go? Just ask JD and MrM14

Pretty soon your going to be action shopping and lusting after high end euro glass.......good luck............leave the Mauser alone

Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Looking good HSN! That is one of my two favorite scopes.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Cane dont let the bug bite you. Its fun but just like they say about race cars, Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go? Just ask JD and MrM14

Pretty soon your going to be action shopping and lusting after high end euro glass.......good luck............leave the Mauser alone
Yeah but it's so purdy! But.........I think you're right, the most expensive scope I've purchased has been $200. It scares me to think about looking through a real high-end optic. I'd be selling anything I could get my hands on to get that fix!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yeah but it's so purdy! But.........I think you're right, the most expensive scope I've purchased has been $200. It scares me to think about looking through a real high-end optic. I'd be selling anything I could get my hands on to get that fix!
That's right Cane.When I made the mistake of looking at a Swarovski,within a week I had to buy one,and since then I've bought 2 Sightron SIII's for other rifles I think I was tricked into having to have great glass on my guns. But they are really worth it.

Great looking rig you have there Hot Sauce.How's she shoot?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have yet to shoot the thing, still piecing together odds and ends for my reloading bench should start load development within the next 2 weeks.

I got bit again tonight, really trying to find someone to buy my savage to finance a Manners chassis system and bottom metal. I really want one but i told myself no more out of pocket on this one so Ive got to part with something in order to get the cash.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sweet looking setup you have put together. May I ask why only a 40mm objective? Is it to keep the line of sight closer to the centerline of the bore?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Sweet looking setup you have put together. May I ask why only a 40mm objective? Is it to keep the line of sight closer to the centerline of the bore?
ya i think that's their reasoning but who knows for sure. Literally a week after i got mine i saw a 50mm obj version hit the market lol

Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, I was just curious. I didn't know if you specifically went after a smaller objective. I know diddly squat about long range shooting or high quality optics.