Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Review: IOR Valdada 3-18X40 FFP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/review-ior-valdada-3-18x40-ffp-31421/)

Hot Sauce NARC 09-06-2010 11:20 PM

Review: IOR Valdada 3-18X40 FFP

3 Attachment(s)
Ive been needing to write this review for a while now, just been putting it off. Along about February of this year my smith started on my .260 rem precision rifle based on a rem 700 short action, and soon thereafter i started out on an research mission to find quality glass to go on top of it. ( http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/260-remington-model-700-target-project-22908/ )

After alot of help from members here i decided on the on the IOR Valdada 3-18X40 First Focal Plane scope with the MP-8 reticule. I got my rifle back sometime in July, and within 2 weeks i placed an order for my scope with Scott at Liberty Optics, Scott is awesome to deal with, and i highly recommend him and his company.

A few days later i had my new IOR, and my first impression was "dam this thing is heavy duty" I never realized just hoe big a 35mm main tube actually was.

I really like this scope for alot of reasons, first off the clarity of the glass is a 10 its the best ive ever looked through, even in lower light conditions.

This scope is a First Focal Plane scope (the mill hash marks can be used to range a target at any magnification) The MP-8 Dot reticule has a new take on the standard Mill Dot reticule, it doesn't have dots, it has hash marks that make precise measurements much easier. The reticule and the adjustments are both in Mils, so there is no math involved in impact correction, or lead/holdover. The elevation knob also has 10mils per revolution, so there is no getting lost when making long range adjustments.

The advertised adjustment for this scope was 22 mil elevation, and mine comes in at about 20 so that is slightly disappointing, but still more than enough to get out to 1k with a 20 moa base.

Im sure i forgot something important.

canebrake 09-06-2010 11:44 PM

Great looking stick Hot!

I now have bolt gun envy! My 96 year old 8mm Mauser is somehow not doing it for me after your post.

Hot Sauce NARC 09-07-2010 01:25 AM

Cane dont let the bug bite you. Its fun but just like they say about race cars, Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go? Just ask JD and MrM14

Pretty soon your going to be action shopping and lusting after high end euro glass.......good luck............leave the Mauser alone :D

M14sRock 09-07-2010 01:40 AM

Looking good HSN! That is one of my two favorite scopes.

canebrake 09-07-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 345774)
Cane dont let the bug bite you. Its fun but just like they say about race cars, Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go? Just ask JD and MrM14

Pretty soon your going to be action shopping and lusting after high end euro glass.......good luck............leave the Mauser alone :D

Yeah but it's so purdy! But.........I think you're right, the most expensive scope I've purchased has been $200. It scares me to think about looking through a real high-end optic. I'd be selling anything I could get my hands on to get that fix!

Txhillbilly 09-07-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 345790)
Yeah but it's so purdy! But.........I think you're right, the most expensive scope I've purchased has been $200. It scares me to think about looking through a real high-end optic. I'd be selling anything I could get my hands on to get that fix!

That's right Cane.When I made the mistake of looking at a Swarovski,within a week I had to buy one,and since then I've bought 2 Sightron SIII's for other rifles I think I was tricked into having to have great glass on my guns. But they are really worth it.

Great looking rig you have there Hot Sauce.How's she shoot?

Hot Sauce NARC 09-07-2010 02:14 AM

i have yet to shoot the thing, still piecing together odds and ends for my reloading bench should start load development within the next 2 weeks.

I got bit again tonight, really trying to find someone to buy my savage to finance a Manners chassis system and bottom metal. I really want one but i told myself no more out of pocket on this one so Ive got to part with something in order to get the cash. :(

russ 09-07-2010 02:53 AM

Sweet looking setup you have put together. May I ask why only a 40mm objective? Is it to keep the line of sight closer to the centerline of the bore?

Hot Sauce NARC 09-07-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ (Post 345830)
Sweet looking setup you have put together. May I ask why only a 40mm objective? Is it to keep the line of sight closer to the centerline of the bore?

ya i think that's their reasoning but who knows for sure. Literally a week after i got mine i saw a 50mm obj version hit the market lol

russ 09-07-2010 03:15 AM

OK, I was just curious. I didn't know if you specifically went after a smaller objective. I know diddly squat about long range shooting or high quality optics.