removing scope

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > removing scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default removing scope

After a scope is sighted in on a particular rifle then it is removed (mounts loosened) and slid of the rail, how far will it be off when reinstalled?
Rifle AR-15 with top rail. Scope Nikon 223 3 X 9, mounts Nikon P Series.

Red S.
"I want a government small enough to fit inside the Constitution."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Could be anywhere really. That is where a good collimator comes in handy. Once the rifle has been sighted in, check the cross hair location on the grid and write down it's coordinates. Then if the scope is later removed and re-installed, just re-attach the collimator and make sure it points to the same spot as before. If it doesn't, it's easy enough to dial in the scope again until it is.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

Liked 2193 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

No hard and fast answer. Sometimes they are pretty close to where they were. Sometimes they are off paper.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

a lot would depend on the mount and the rings themselves. i am sure some would hold zero much better than others. cost of those would probably be the best factor to consider as IMO the higher the quality, the closer they would should return to sero when remounted.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

And as Axxe stated quality makes a big difference as well as little things like what were the mounts torqued to on the first location before removal and is it torqued to the same on the new installation? Then there is the aspect of what is accurate to one person, is not accurate to another. Some might be happy that after it was re-mounted if it was within a 4" group at 100 yards for example.
For me the group would have to be dead on at 100 yards and within 1 MOA.
So that is a factor also! From my experience most of the time if you re-mount a Scope leaving the rings on it and just re-titening the Rings or Mount to the Base Mount with the same torque specification you normally will be within 3" to 4" at 100 yards. Then you just have to tweek it to get it back on where it was before.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another point i'll add is this, that to return to zero when replaced requires a certain amount of precision that cheap can't achieve IMO. this would be one of those types of items where you get what you pay for. to design and manufacture an item that is capable of doing so out of quality materials cost money.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

use an adm (american defense manufacturing) quick detach mount. they return to zero so long as you attach it to the same rail location and push forward while attaching everytime.

i use adm's exclusively. i run one on my precision ar15 and cannot detect zero shift. i routinely take the optic off as it helps with cleaning. a 42x bench rest optic is a boat anchor so being able to remove it as needed without zero shift is a big plus

a collimeter will not tell you if zero shift has happened. they are seldom accurate enough to get a rifle on paper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
a collimeter will not tell you if zero shift has happened. they are seldom accurate enough to get a rifle on paper.
Never been a problem for me but as they say YMMV.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have a fair number of scoped rifles. Seems I'm always swapping scopes around on one of the rifles, or taking one off for some reason and putting it back on. I always expect to re-zero a scope that went back on the same rifle. Can't recall ever not needing to re-zero a scope.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 AM   #10

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I have a flat top upper on my AR. I have my scope mounted to a 1 inch riser. I have a removable carry handle and also red dot. I have swapped back and forth many times. But as long as I put the riser back where it was I have not had to readjust the scope. The riser is the full length of the upper. I only shoot out to 100 yards with it. But it shoots real tight groups...sub MOA.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.