Reflex sight help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Reflex sight help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Reflex sight help

At the suggestion of a friend I purchased a Pentax reflex sight for my .22 LR-AR and now am confused as the best way to use it. Do I leave the front iron sight on my rifle and put the red dot on the pin, or do I leave it off and sort of guess where the muzzle of the gun is? I'm somewhat far-sighted (new eye lenses after cataract surgery) so the dot is far better than looking through the peep-sight but I need to know which is best for quick target acquisition. I did zero the gun at 25-yards with the front sight on but I'm still unsure of what I'm doing with it. I would appreciate any suggestions and guidance. - Thanx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #2

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Dont worry about trying to get the red dot to shadow the front sight, you need to independently adjust the red dot to your POA and focus on that. If the red dot happens to shadow the front sight then great, but dont just put it there. I run an Eotech on my AR and i have it adjusted spot on but it doesnt quite shadow my front sight. Are you able to co-witness with the reflex?

By the way how are you liking the Pentax reflex? I had a Pentax lightseeker 3x9x50 scope on my winchester M70,and it was an amazing scope.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I would take front and rear sights off if possible and put flip up buis on. Sight them in seperate of your red dot and sighg red dot. Make sure they cowitness then you can use either.