Reflex or Red dot optic//No Batteries
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Reflex or Red dot optic//No Batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Reflex or Red dot optic//No Batteries

Hello, I am currently in search of an affordable optic for my soon to be suppressed .22 rifle.. I would like to purchase either a Reflex or Red Dot type optic so I could actually aim(the suppressor will obstruct the original sights). I will not be needing magnification. I need the optic to function like that of many trijicon optics(No batteries). Is there an affordable alternative to the same type of optic? Many advantages come from not needing batteries. The price point would need to be $200 or below. Thanks to anyone who has a recommendation.

Thanks,
Hlander

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Have you considered a rear receiver sight (peep) and a raised front sight. The receiver sights are usually higher and require a higher front. Aside from Trijicon, I dont know of anything in production. There are 1x shotgun scopes available. Weaver did make a really ugly red dot that was powered by light a long time ago. You might still find one on line. The newer red dots have very good battery life. My Bushnell TRS25 is over 3k hours and costs about $80. I forgot about the Meprolight M21 but it is $500. The Trijicon can be had for a little over $400.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 11-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Have you considered a rear receiver sight (peep) and a raised front sight. The receiver sights are usually higher and require a higher front. Aside from Trijicon, I dont know of anything in production. There are 1x shotgun scopes available. Weaver did make a really ugly red dot that was powered by light a long time ago. You might still find one on line. The newer red dots have very good battery life. My Bushnell TRS25 is over 3k hours and costs about $80. I forgot about the Meprolight M21 but it is $500. The Trijicon can be had for a little over $400.
Thanks for your advice. I would actually prefer iron sights, I have considered a bull pup stock for the rifle to illuminate this issue. This stock set has elevated irons built it, but this configuration would sacrifice more than I would gain. I will certainly consider the TRS25! You mentioned the 1X shotgun scopes, do they too require batteries? Thank you!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlander View Post
Thanks for your advice. I would actually prefer iron sights, I have considered a bull pup stock for the rifle to illuminate this issue. This stock set has elevated irons built it, but this configuration would sacrifice more than I would gain. I will certainly consider the TRS25! You mentioned the 1X shotgun scopes, do they too require batteries? Thank you!
The shotgun scopes are non powered and have parallax set at 50-70 yards. Usually have some type of fast acquire reticle. The link will take you to an example of a 1-4x Bushnell Banner shotgun scope. Just an example.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P4735.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

The old Weaver Qwik-Point S-1 Shotgun Red Dot Scope did not require batteries. But was ugly and discontinued years ago. If you went with something with illuminated reticule, they would still function as a regular scope if the batteries were dead.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Not too many affoardable red dots out there that are battery free.

Teh TRS -25 is good for a battery operated optic that doesn't break the bank.

Also higher sights are out there on the market for supressed guns, if you just wanted to stick with irons.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The shotgun scopes are non powered and have parallax set at 50-70 yards. Usually have some type of fast acquire reticle. The link will take you to an example of a 1-4x Bushnell Banner shotgun scope. Just an example.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P4735.aspx
Thanks for the info, Ill do some more looking!

Last edited by Hlander; 11-08-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The old Weaver Qwik-Point S-1 Shotgun Red Dot Scope did not require batteries. But was ugly and discontinued years ago. If you went with something with illuminated reticule, they would still function as a regular scope if the batteries were dead.
Ill look for one, I am not much on appearance. Just as long as it works! Thanks!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Not too many affoardable red dots out there that are battery free.

Teh TRS -25 is good for a battery operated optic that doesn't break the bank.

Also higher sights are out there on the market for supressed guns, if you just wanted to stick with irons.
Thanks, I might go with that. I was not aware the batteries were so long lasting. I appreciate the suggestions!