Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Reflex or Red dot optic//No Batteries (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/reflex-red-dot-optic-no-batteries-75866/)

Hlander 11-07-2012 06:52 PM

Reflex or Red dot optic//No Batteries

Hello, I am currently in search of an affordable optic for my soon to be suppressed .22 rifle.. I would like to purchase either a Reflex or Red Dot type optic so I could actually aim(the suppressor will obstruct the original sights). I will not be needing magnification. I need the optic to function like that of many trijicon optics(No batteries). Is there an affordable alternative to the same type of optic? Many advantages come from not needing batteries. The price point would need to be $200 or below. Thanks to anyone who has a recommendation.

Thanks,
Hlander

JTJ 11-07-2012 07:10 PM

Have you considered a rear receiver sight (peep) and a raised front sight. The receiver sights are usually higher and require a higher front. Aside from Trijicon, I dont know of anything in production. There are 1x shotgun scopes available. Weaver did make a really ugly red dot that was powered by light a long time ago. You might still find one on line. The newer red dots have very good battery life. My Bushnell TRS25 is over 3k hours and costs about $80. I forgot about the Meprolight M21 but it is $500. The Trijicon can be had for a little over $400.

Hlander 11-07-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1005454)
Have you considered a rear receiver sight (peep) and a raised front sight. The receiver sights are usually higher and require a higher front. Aside from Trijicon, I dont know of anything in production. There are 1x shotgun scopes available. Weaver did make a really ugly red dot that was powered by light a long time ago. You might still find one on line. The newer red dots have very good battery life. My Bushnell TRS25 is over 3k hours and costs about $80. I forgot about the Meprolight M21 but it is $500. The Trijicon can be had for a little over $400.

Thanks for your advice. I would actually prefer iron sights, I have considered a bull pup stock for the rifle to illuminate this issue. This stock set has elevated irons built it, but this configuration would sacrifice more than I would gain. I will certainly consider the TRS25! You mentioned the 1X shotgun scopes, do they too require batteries? Thank you!

JTJ 11-07-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlander (Post 1005476)
Thanks for your advice. I would actually prefer iron sights, I have considered a bull pup stock for the rifle to illuminate this issue. This stock set has elevated irons built it, but this configuration would sacrifice more than I would gain. I will certainly consider the TRS25! You mentioned the 1X shotgun scopes, do they too require batteries? Thank you!

The shotgun scopes are non powered and have parallax set at 50-70 yards. Usually have some type of fast acquire reticle. The link will take you to an example of a 1-4x Bushnell Banner shotgun scope. Just an example.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P4735.aspx

hiwall 11-08-2012 12:26 AM

The old Weaver Qwik-Point S-1 Shotgun Red Dot Scope did not require batteries. But was ugly and discontinued years ago. If you went with something with illuminated reticule, they would still function as a regular scope if the batteries were dead.

SSGN_Doc 11-08-2012 01:08 AM

Not too many affoardable red dots out there that are battery free.

Teh TRS -25 is good for a battery operated optic that doesn't break the bank.

Also higher sights are out there on the market for supressed guns, if you just wanted to stick with irons.

Hlander 11-08-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1005527)
The shotgun scopes are non powered and have parallax set at 50-70 yards. Usually have some type of fast acquire reticle. The link will take you to an example of a 1-4x Bushnell Banner shotgun scope. Just an example.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P4735.aspx

Thanks for the info, Ill do some more looking!

Hlander 11-08-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1005876)
The old Weaver Qwik-Point S-1 Shotgun Red Dot Scope did not require batteries. But was ugly and discontinued years ago. If you went with something with illuminated reticule, they would still function as a regular scope if the batteries were dead.

Ill look for one, I am not much on appearance. Just as long as it works! Thanks!

Hlander 11-08-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1005955)
Not too many affoardable red dots out there that are battery free.

Teh TRS -25 is good for a battery operated optic that doesn't break the bank.

Also higher sights are out there on the market for supressed guns, if you just wanted to stick with irons.

Thanks, I might go with that. I was not aware the batteries were so long lasting. I appreciate the suggestions!