Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Redfield Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Redfield Scopes

Redfield has been resurrected again by Leupold. Anyone have any of the new ones and do you know if they will honor the warranty on the old ones?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I don't own any, but I posted to bump this up and see if anyone has any experience with any of the newer ones as I have read positive feedback more than once in the last week or two. I was thinking about giving them a shot, but would love to hear from any users.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've alwasy been a fan of Refield scopes. I read the artical in the latest Rifleman mag and IMO, if Leupold is producing them, they are gonna be top notch. Just not ALL the bells and whistles of their top line models.

It's a win win for Leupold and for us who've not got bottomless pocket books..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

i have 4 of the redfeild 4x12x40 with accurange retical on varmint rifles they are exceptionally good for the price 232.00 in canada . i would say they are as good as the vx1 leupold for lots less $ also accurange retical is very good coyotes @ 300yds put him in the circle and bang flop it does not get any better imo

Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have one of the new Redfield scopes in 2-7x33 mounted on a Marlin 44Magnum lever action, zeroed in at 75yds. Has held up really good, and clear as a bell. Now for some bad news. NO, Leupold nor Redfield will repair any of the older Redfield scopes. I believe there is a Repair shop for the older Redfield and Weaver scopes, but I don't know name or where it's located, so a search of Web is in order. The new Redfields, I've heard have been the equilivent of either the VX1 or VX2 Leupold scopes, but at a more modest cost to bring in new customers and for those who liked/used the older Redfields and wanted as good of scope that was made in USA. Only drawback of the Redfield's is they don't make them(as of yet) with A/O, which would be really nice for those close shots under 50yds.
Del

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Redfield Scopes

I just purchased a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 accurange. Long story short I tried to purchase a 2-7 VX1 and 2-7 Sabr from Cabelas and both scope orders were canceled after about 2.5 weeks of waiting each time. All I got from Cabelas was a we are sorry speech. So I ordered the Redfield from NatchezSS and had the scope within 3 days.
So back on subject, the Redfield wasnt my first choice but I must say im very satisfied. Its clear, the power adjustment is awesome( only turns 90 degrees from 2 to 7 power) no parallax, and tracks like a much more expensive scope. I paid 160$ for it, and yes I know I could of found a much better deal but after 6 weeks I just wanted the damn scope.
I mounted it on a rifled/cantilever 870 slug gun. With Hornaday SST 12ga slugs I printed a couple 2" groups at 100yds, with a 3" high at 100yd zero the accurange dot put me dead on at 200yds which printed a 2.75" group. Im very happy with that myself.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

I have the Redfeild Revolution in 4-12x40. It's a good scope for the money and i like it. It's Nice and clear, the zoom turns tight and keeps a decent zero, BUT... The problem I have with it is with a long action rifle like my Rem 700 in 30-06, the scope is just a little to short and barley fits on the mounts properly, thank god the eye relief is good or else I wouldn't be able to move it close enough to see well. It also dosen't come with lens caps. I want it to be about a inch longer then it would get 5 stars. For now it gets 3 1/2..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb760
I have the Redfeild Revolution in 4-12x40. It's a good scope for the money and i like it. It's Nice and clear, the zoom turns tight and keeps a decent zero, BUT... The problem I have with it is with a long action rifle like my Rem 700 in 30-06, the scope is just a little to short and barley fits on the mounts properly, thank god the eye relief is good or else I wouldn't be able to move it close enough to see well. It also dosen't come with lens caps. I want it to be about a inch longer then it would get 5 stars. For now it gets 3 1/2..
I have two of the new Redfields and believe in them. They have treated me well and performed as advertised. At the current price point they are a great value for someone on a budget looking for clear glass that gathers light well. I have swapped the scopes between an AR 15, a LAR .308. , and a mod. 700 in 308 with no problems. Off the subject a bit, check out their 20 x 60 spotting scope. $209.00 approx. If you like the rifle scopes the spotter does not disappoint. Comes with lense covers, a tripod, a nylon operating cover, and a carrying case. Easy to see and pick up targets in view. I've used mine out to 200 yds at the range and have no problem seeing .223 holes in a target.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #9

Liked 137 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've had 3 of the new Leupold version Redfields: two 2-7X and one 4-12X.
The 4-12X was a bit picky on eye relief, much more so than my VX2 Leupold 4-12X's.
All 3 Redfields had some reflectivity inside, it wasn't "solid black" around the image. Kind of annoying if used to regular Leupolds.
The scopes did adjust repeatably and held zero fine, however, the 1/4 or 1/2 " clicks (whatever the increment was) was pretty close for one turret, was about 2X the stated distance with the other. This proven across a couple of different guns/rings/mounts and all 3 scopes acted that way. Note............I ran all of the scopes in Burris Posiline Zee rings.
Mounts/rings were proven aligned before scope installation so i doubt I was stressing them to cause the difference seen.
Made in USA, usable (but not as good as hoped)...........I'd buy another, if for a limited use rig, like a deer shotgun that gets out 3 days a yr.

Have yet to try the 3-9X. So far I think the 2-7X's better/more usable/less annoying.

I'd put one on a .35 Rem for deer............if not for one thing..............I hate the red logo on the tube. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

So for me, I'd rather buy a used VX2 2-7X over a new Redfield.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #10

Liked 137 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb760 View Post
I had the 4-12X and it barely fit on my Savage Axis at proper eye relief. I got another 4-12X Leupold and it wouldn't fit!

I was running Weaver 2 pc bases and that was the problem on that long action.

Solution is to buy a 1 pc base of multiple slots. EGW sells one for the Savage Axis and it's $40. I'm sure they have one for your long action 700.

Note, I have not used either, but on other Weaver bases, and Aimtech shotgun mounts, I have with certain scopes and ring combos, had to grind some of the base to clear scope objectives or power selector rings.

No big deal to buzz them, aluma-black. Looks factory when done.