Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Redfield Revolution vs. Revenge: Where Are They Made? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/redfield-revolution-vs-revenge-where-they-made-76262/)

heymatthew 11-13-2012 01:50 AM

Redfield Revolution vs. Revenge: Where Are They Made?

Hey folks,
I ordered a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 today and I was doing a little research. I was under the impression that the Redfield scopes were made in the US. I saw a couple of quick reviews online (they're scarce on the Redfield optics) and people were complaining about the Revenge scopes being made in the Philippines. On the Redfield site they point out that the Revolutions scopes are made in Oregon, but they don't make mention of the origin of manufacture of the Revenge series.

The scope I purchased was a few bucks less than the Revolution variation of the same scope (2-7x33) so I'm assuming the difference in price is from the difference in country of origin.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm not a stickler for "Made in USA" stuff or whatever. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any insight as to whether or not there was a difference between the Revolution and Revenge line.

Also, if anyone has any insight on the Redfield stuff, I would love to hear your thoughts on them. Good or bad. I found some really positive reviews on their optics online, but there weren't many.

Thanks so much!
Matthew

Gatoragn 11-13-2012 10:52 AM

Everything I find using Google indicates the Revenge is made in the Philippines.

Redfield guarantees both the Revenge and Revolution for life.

If you are a satisfied customer, then you are good to go.

gunsmoke11 11-13-2012 11:34 AM

I own many Redfields, though they are the older ones. I'm very happy that they brought them back again and feel confident you'll love yours when you mount it on your rifle. It doesn't matter where it's made if care is taken with it's production. I love all of mine and I'm sure you'll love yours. Best of luck with it.

heymatthew 11-13-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1012659)
Everything I find using Google indicates the Revenge is made in the Philippines.

Redfield guarantees both the Revenge and Revolution for life.

If you are a satisfied customer, then you are good to go.

Thanks! That's what I was getting as well. I was just curious because a couple of reviews I read said things along the lines of, "I bought this and found it was made in the Philippines, NOT in the USA. I will be sending it back." People are acting as if they've been tricked into buying an American made product that was then swapped out with something made elsewhere.

The price of the optic I bought was $139, the same scope in the Revolution lineup was $189. That's a 30% difference in price so clearly there's something going on. I'm hoping that the difference is because the Revenge is made outside of the US and not because it's made to lesser quality with inferior components.

I'll post a range report when I get it.

heymatthew 11-13-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 (Post 1012681)
I own many Redfields, though they are the older ones. I'm very happy that they brought them back again and feel confident you'll love yours when you mount it on your rifle. It doesn't matter where it's made if care is taken with it's production. I love all of mine and I'm sure you'll love yours. Best of luck with it.

Thank you sir!

JimRau 11-13-2012 01:57 PM

The new Redfields are made by Leupold. I have sold several of them and my customers are very satisfied.

heymatthew 11-13-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1012812)
The new Redfields are made by Leupold. I have sold several of them and my customers are very satisfied.

This just keeps getting better... :)

locutus 11-13-2012 10:12 PM

There are a few scopes assembled in the U.S. from foreign, mainly Japanese and Chinese lenses and parts. AFAIK, there are NO quality scopes made entirely in the U.S. of U.S. parts.

So "made in U.S." is pretty much a moot point for scopes.

heymatthew 11-14-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1013304)
There are a few scopes assembled in the U.S. from foreign, mainly Japanese and Chinese lenses and parts. AFAIK, there are NO quality scopes made entirely in the U.S. of U.S. parts.

So "made in U.S." is pretty much a moot point for scopes.

I just pictured a really long sticker that says, "Assembled in the USA Using Parts from Vietnam, China, Japan, Singapore and Korea."

LOL!

gunnut07 11-19-2012 11:51 AM

All optics manufactures use various sources for their glass. They don't look at region they look at quality of the glass and what impurities it has. If Leupold and Stiner both like the quality of glass that say a manufacture in Japan is producing they will order from them. If the next batch isn't so good and the manufacture from South Africa has the best at that time they will order from there.

Preimer Reticles are made in the USA I don't know where they get their glass though.