Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Red dot site help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/red-dot-site-help-35355/)

Cory2 12-08-2010 10:10 PM

Red dot site help

I talked my friend into buying a .22 rifle and he finally did by purchasing a (typical) ruger 10/22. He also bought a $50 red dot site from walmart. It seemed to be ok. A scope you look through with a red dot that apears inside of it.

But this got me wondering. What seperates a $50 red dot site from an $800 eotech red dot? If all it is is different "dots" and colors than i dont really see that justifying a site that costs more than most hunting rifles.

Could someone please enlighten me? And dear god i hope its not just for the "my red dot costs more than your entire gun" factor. Cause if that is it then alot of people are retarded.

cpttango30 12-08-2010 11:29 PM

QUALITY toughness

You send that $50 Tasco to the sand box it will last 1 maybe 2 weeks if that. That EOTech or many others are built to take the abuse military weapons see.

If you what to see what they go through some times it is downright scarry. I spent 10 hours on a D7 with my 249 bouncing around behind the seat. I took that same 249 a month later and shot it so much I welded the barrel on to it so that it had to be sent to the third shop to get fixed.

M14sRock 12-09-2010 02:04 AM

A cheap red dot is fine for casual plinking, until the electronics gork. Be gentle with it and it should be fine.

They will not work in low temps (30f-) or high temps (100+). Drop one from more than about 10 inches and they won't work anymore. Battery will last a couple of hundred hours of use, max.

But take a high end red dot and they take abuse. Aimpoints are tested at crazy temps like -65f and +160f. The electronics do not gork. They work after being submerged in water, and after being dropped from several feet.

And the battery life on an Aimpoint is measured in years. As in 6.5 to 8 years if left in the "On" position.

doctherock 12-09-2010 02:24 AM

I need a reflex or a holographic.

Cory2 12-09-2010 05:08 AM

Are they any more accurate? I tested out the moving aimpoint thing and it did move but it wasnt dead on unless you had the aimpoint right in the middle of the sight picture. When i had it towards the side it would miss by a few inches (at about 30 yards).

M14sRock 12-09-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory2 (Post 399763)
Are they any more accurate? I tested out the moving aimpoint thing and it did move but it wasnt dead on unless you had the aimpoint right in the middle of the sight picture. When i had it towards the side it would miss by a few inches (at about 30 yards).

I've only used the cheapies for plinking, so can't tell you how well they maintain zero.

But I've used Aimpoints a lot over the last few years, and they maintain their zero.

Jay 12-09-2010 10:42 AM

There is a difference between a simple red dot sight, and a holographic sight. The holographic sights like the EOTech, allow point of impact where ever the shooter can see the dot. If the wondow is broken, but a small piece remains that allows you to see the dot, it's useable. A cheaper dot sight requires the shooter to "center" the dot as best he/she can.

Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

HKSlinger 12-10-2010 04:10 AM

Primary Arms has an Aimpoint M3, "type" sight for less than a bill, that I've been hearing fair reports on. Should be suitable for a .22. They sell 'em for use on ARs.:rolleyes: