Red-Dot Sights?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red-Dot Sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Red-Dot Sights?

Ok here is my problem. How do they work??? If you move your eye just a bit it move the dot. How do you know when your on target? Is a front sight required?

cheapreddot.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wherever the dot is, is where the round goes (assuming you have sighted it in correctly). Doesn't matter if the dot moves.

That is the beauty of the red dot sights.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #3

I think KAG is referring to parallax. I also would like to know the answer to this. I understand how it works in rifle scopes but red dots seem to have a much bigger problem with it (maybe i've only seen the cheap ones).

We'll just have to wait for one od the smart fellers to come along.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

While I put an ACOG on my AR, I can tell you that the vast majority of our soldiers in combat have Eotech's on their rifle (my son does). From talking to my soldier buddies, the cheapies are basically a waste of money and won't hold zero or stand up to any hard use.

This is why I love where I work, I get first hand info from the folks that actually use their weapons in real combat environments. If I had not needed magnification (old eyes) an Eotech would have been my choice.

I know a couple of soldier types testing out this one and initial reports say it's a keeper...

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I looked at one a friend bought for $30 to put on his 10/22, and while I was in his house I was playing with it. If it was a the same position and my eye moved around, so did the dot. Now I am not dot scientist but I dont think the bullet will some how follow the dot around.

My explanation:
Brain cell #4555566 must have stopped talking to #4555567.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #6

They work like a HUD (Heads Up Display), basically. There is no magnification, so no paralax. When a fighter pilot moves his head, it does not affect his weapon sight (HUD), because the sight moves to compensate.

I have used Aimpoints for years (first tried in the late 80's), and can tell you that as your head/eye moves and the dot moves, so does the bullet impact.

This is an oversimplification, but I hope it makes sense.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I might have to spend the $30 just to find out. I understand what your saying it just does not compute.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
I might have to spend the $30 just to find out. I understand what your saying it just does not compute.
That was my response originally. Ha.

One thing to remember with the $30 units is that they do not have the durability, repeatability and longevity of the Aimpoints. I mounted a cheapie on one of my .22's a few years ago and was pissed when it would not turn on early one morning in the dez (20 degrees). Once the day warmed up it was fine. I blamed the batteries, but found out later it is the electronics.

The Aimpoints are tested down to insane temps, and back up to insane temps (like -165deg f to +200deg f). It is the same reason the AP battery life is measured in years, when the cheapies are in hours. I have an Aimpoint for my backup hunting rifle (along with a magnified scope) and it works just fine at well below 0deg f, and it keeps it's zero after days of rough riding and hundreds of miles on a hard rack on my ATV.

But get a cheapie and play with it. You will enjoy the versatility and simplicity of a red dot once you get used to them, most likely.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just sold my Simmons 30 mm red dot and bought one of these for one of my AR's:

Amazon.com: BARSKA 1x30 IR M-16 Electro Sight Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

Haven't tried it out yet but the ratings are pretty decent. I'm heading to the range next week so I'll let you know.

41q2iudnyil._ss500_.jpg  

Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss99 View Post
I think KAG is referring to parallax. I also would like to know the answer to this. I understand how it works in rifle scopes but red dots seem to have a much bigger problem with it (maybe i've only seen the cheap ones).

We'll just have to wait for one od the smart fellers to come along.
there is no parrallax, as ther is no magnification involved with this type of red dot.

when sighting in, keep the target in the center of the glass and adjust the red dot until you hit what you are aiming at.

the red dots are nice for fast target aquisition, both eyes open QCB style shooting and short range target as well. the variable brightness dot offers you the oppurtunity to not get distracted by the glare of the dot, and is nice for night varminting.

i have a similar one, (this style is basically tasco, bsa, and a half a dozen other names printed on the side) on a .357 revolver. held true for years. then i put it on a shotgun 835 3.5" dead coyote loads, still stays true.

i'm about to buy another (tasco offers them with lifetime warranties) to put back on the .357