Red Dot Sight Wonders Off

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Sight Wonders Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red Dot Sight Wonders Off

Hey there,

New to scopes. I've got this red dot sight mounted on an air rifle. It will hold 0 for a while but my shots will slowly drift to the right. I constantly have to 're-zero' it, then shoot accurate for a bit and repeat. Is it time for a new scope or does the problem look familiar to someone who has a remedy for it?

Thanks!

See you around,
Daniel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #2

Is your red dot sight made for air rifles?

It comes as a surprise to many shooters, but air rifles are tough on red dots. The same optics that will stand up to recoil from a .223 will fail when mounted on an air rifle. Weird, but true.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

This is due to the fact that on a SPRING PISTON air rifle the recoil is the other direction that a scope is made for. That is the only air rifle that will eat scopes. I had a weaver 22lr scope on my blue streak for years and many a birds and squirrels fell to that pellet rifle.

If it is on an RWS or GAMO of any other break barrel air rifle you destroyed it.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #4

It's a Gamo air rifle and therefore I'm concluding, based on your advice, that the scope is done. Are there scopes though that are build for these rifles?

I am indeed surprized that the reversed recoil of a spring piston rifle will ruin a/most red dot sight(s), thinking that they are build to resist a certain level of shock/impact. Thanks for your input!

Is there a 'reversed recoil' resisting red dot sight out there though?

See you around,
Daniel

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #5

Default Try it on another rifle 22 or such.

The reverse recoil as stated will rip a scope not made for it up. It might be fine for a rifle that recoils to the rear. Yes there are specific scopes for air rifles.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Last edited by bobbyb13; 02-10-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #6

Default Center Point Optics - 3-9x40 - Opinions?

Yes, I just got to this true reality today ... the hard way haha!

Anyhow, I've got a thread going in the Rimfire Discussion forum which now starts wondering of to scope choices ... which I think I should take to this part of Firearms Talk. One recommendation for a .22 CZ 452 Lux was a Center Point scope. Just checked their website and actually specifically claims the ar22 series to be proven to withstand reverse recoil from even the most powerful air rifles. So there we go. It was just a clarification to me.

Talking about clarification, how is this Center Point scope. It sure is cheaper. My interest lies with the ar22 3-9x40 model. Can anybody tell me something about this scope? Quality and durability wise?

See you around,
Daniel

Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Gamo has a line of scopes that are specificaly made to withstand the spring piston recoil.

other makers also make scopes rated for air rifles as well. Not sure as I don't have an air rifle. Might try looking at Bushnell here they have a rather good line up of air rifle scopes. They even list which ones can handle break barrel air rifles. Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!