Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6330 Times on 3353 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Curious if you have had Vortex failures and if so what happened?
my strikefire has had two instances where the electronics shut off under recoil but i cant replicate it so havent sent it off to vortex yet. the sparc has survived just fine on 458 socom and 45-70 under range conditions.

personally im just not a fan of purely electronic sights. if you have really followed some of my postsings im like the person that if something is going to break i will break it.

if you are going to run electronic either co-witness or have the optic on a single lever qd mount with buis ready to go.

ive got a really low tolerance for things that break or dont work.

the vortex stuff is the best of the low end rds type sights till you hit the aimpoint territory. i havent even tried the eotech cuz i know it wont hold up to my ability to destroy things unintentionally. ive seen enough of eotechs in the possession of others who have problems of one sort or another that if i bought one and attached it to a rifle it would prolly be the one in a million that would explode into a zillion pieces...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2446 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
mileage varies. both my vortex sparc and strikefire are using the original batteries but i dont trust them for anything serious just for plinking.
I guess when you put it that way I don't necessarily "trust" mine either. I do have iron sights zeroed, and the red dot is on a quick detachable mount. Every now and then I'll practice popping it off and check whether it will hold a zero when I put it back on. But I'd do that with any electronic sight.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #43

Liked 2053 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my strikefire has had two instances where the electronics shut off under recoil but i cant replicate it so havent sent it off to vortex yet. the sparc has survived just fine on 458 socom and 45-70 under range conditions.

personally im just not a fan of purely electronic sights. if you have really followed some of my postsings im like the person that if something is going to break i will break it.

if you are going to run electronic either co-witness or have the optic on a single lever qd mount with buis ready to go.

ive got a really low tolerance for things that break or dont work.

the vortex stuff is the best of the low end rds type sights till you hit the aimpoint territory. i havent even tried the eotech cuz i know it wont hold up to my ability to destroy things unintentionally. ive seen enough of eotechs in the possession of others who have problems of one sort or another that if i bought one and attached it to a rifle it would prolly be the one in a million that would explode into a zillion pieces...
Yeah mine is set up with a lower 1/3 co-witness I don't think I'd rely solely on any electronics period. Just curious what your experience has been. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #44

Liked 2433 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I have my TRS 25 set up with absolute co-witness and a quick detach mount. Using the large aperture on my rear sight, actually turns out to be about the same relative diameter at the sight window. I've even played with just using the sight turned off as a Ghost ring. It actually works pretty well out to 50 yds, surprisingly enough.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6330 Times on 3353 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Yeah mine is set up with a lower 1/3 co-witness I don't think I'd rely solely on any electronics period. Just curious what your experience has been. Thanks for the info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I have my TRS 25 set up with absolute co-witness and a quick detach mount. Using the large aperture on my rear sight, actually turns out to be about the same relative diameter at the sight window. I've even played with just using the sight turned off as a Ghost ring. It actually works pretty well out to 50 yds, surprisingly enough.
Cowitness best way to run a rds. They do have real limitations.

A big limitation is running an rds from dark to light to dark or being in the dark looking out to light. The dot can either disapear or blur your vision depending on circumstance until you adjust the knob taking your hands off the controls or contorting to a weird off hand technique.

Its why I mainly use trijicon they adjust automagically in brightness as needed to ambient light levels. The only time you don't get an illuminated reticle is when your in the dark looking out to light the reticle turns black but is just as usable in that condition as if it was lit.

The optics I prefer do add some weight over red dots as well as some size.

Anyway just a little more in the why's of what I like in optics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #46
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2569 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 738

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1x30-StrikeFire-Red-Dot-30mm-Sight-P11251.aspx
The one thing I dont like about the Vortex StrikeFire is the 4 moa dot. My TRS25 has a 3 moa. My Bushnell 1-4x24 scope has a 1 moa dot. The scope will work without power and is what is on my AR. It also uses the 2032 battery.
My wife's 15-22 has a TRS25 with absolute co witness on the flip ups. Doc is right about the TRS working as a ghost ring.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #47

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

primary arms

Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3228 Times on 2229 Posts
Likes Given: 1597

For the OPer, SIG sells a very good red dot tube for under $200. Mine was about 160. Often a big brand name covers up crappy accessories, but in this case it's honest to goodness. Holds zero and has minimal blur.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #49

Liked 2053 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1x30-StrikeFire-Red-Dot-30mm-Sight-P11251.aspx
The one thing I dont like about the Vortex StrikeFire is the 4 moa dot. My TRS25 has a 3 moa. My Bushnell 1-4x24 scope has a 1 moa dot. The scope will work without power and is what is on my AR. It also uses the 2032 battery.
My wife's 15-22 has a TRS25 with absolute co witness on the flip ups. Doc is right about the TRS working as a ghost ring.
I don't have a problem with the 4 MOA dot, at least on my carbine. It means I am going to be able to hit an 8" target at 200 yards (which I do very consistently with my AR15 M4). For anything past that distance, I would not be using a dot scope anyway.

If I am looking for 1 moa accuracy personally I need a scope 100 yards and beyond.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #50

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I'm having trouble finding a good Red Dot Sight for the dollar. I want to put one on my CETME/HK G3 Rifle (Semi-Auto; .308 Winchester). Perhaps an all purpose one that would work for most all applications.

I've bought a simple $20 Red dot Sight and had the hardest time sighting that sucker in. I can't get it perfect for close and long ranges at the same time (I only went to a 25 yard indoor range and shot at small rifle targets). That sight wasn't good enough, and now I find myself selling it.

I want a Red Dot Sight, but nothing as expensive as an ACOG that can go as far as $500+.

Anyone know of a Red Dot Sight (not one that zooms in, but I'm not ruling that one out) that will give me the confidence and ranges of at least 100 yards that would be no more than $300 or $400? Or even better one that's about $200 or less?

I don't have too much experience with these sights, and I don't want to buy another one and waste my money.
My wife bought me a sight mark red dot looks kinda like a eotech but a little different, they have 3 models all under 200 I told her I was thinking about it but I didn't want to waste money on it because it wasn't gonna be as good as a eotech turns out it held zero really well the only thing different from what I'm use to is a regular scope is 1/4 inch Moa this one is 1inch clicks the model I got is the sightmark ultra shot pro spec NV QD it's night vision compatible I wouldn't say it's better then a eotech but it worked on my ar and I do run and guns at my lease at targets at 50,100,and 200 yards and I can send results if you want to see them