Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #31
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,356
Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
One reason I have never bought a red dot is many red dot's have a 3 hour battery life. All red dots use expensive hearing aid batteries. I would have to replace the battery every time I used a red dot.
my wife's aimpoint uses a common cr2032(or whatever that number is we can get em at walmart in bulk packs) battery. bought it for her 2 years ago and its never been turned off. she leaves it on setting 4 for indoor use as its her ohsht gunsite on her srm1216 atm.

anyway its due for a battery change in 2 more years. bit longer than 3 hours unless my math is off.

but you are right about cheaper rds sights they go through batteries like oprah through a buffet line.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my wife's aimpoint uses a common cr2032(or whatever that number is we can get em at walmart in bulk packs) battery. bought it for her 2 years ago and its never been turned off. she leaves it on setting 4 for indoor use as its her ohsht gunsite on her srm1216 atm. anyway its due for a battery change in 2 more years. bit longer than 3 hours unless my math is off. but you are right about cheaper rds sights they go through batteries like oprah through a buffet line.
Mine is dirt cheap. No problems with battery life, it's still on the original after a year. It holds a zero even after having been banged around in deer stands and on 4 wheelers and exercises on the range quite a bit too.
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
just saw this: $119 (best price I have ever seen on these). Weekend deal ONLY



http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html

Again, thanks for heads up. I ordered one at that price. It comes with the extra high 30mm rings, if needed, do you think Vortex will sell the low rings?
__________________
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. — Ronald Reagan (1986)
pduque is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 14
Default Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

I checked the Vortex site and ordered the low rings for $19 plus shipping. Gotta love answering my own dumb question. Too early, too cold, need coffee.

__________________
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. — Ronald Reagan (1986)

Last edited by pduque; 01-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
pduque is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,356
Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Mine is dirt cheap. No problems with battery life, it's still on the original after a year. It holds a zero even after having been banged around in deer stands and on 4 wheelers and exercises on the range quite a bit too.
mileage varies. both my vortex sparc and strikefire are using the original batteries but i dont trust them for anything serious just for plinking.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,403
Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
mileage varies. both my vortex sparc and strikefire are using the original batteries but i dont trust them for anything serious just for plinking.
Why do you not trust your Vortex stuff, and what do you trust for serious stuff?
__________________
leave the cannoli - take the gun
chloeshooter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,356
Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Why do you not trust your Vortex stuff, and what do you trust for serious stuff?
batteries and electronics. vortex is prolly the best of the lower end rds out there but i cant get past the fact that electrics fail me at the worst time. ive spent enough time with electronics to know they are fickle beasts at best and shouldnt be trusted.

i dont trust aimpoint for much either but the wife likes hers.

my ohsht optics are from trijicon and nightforce. prefer trijicon because of the tritium lamps and fiber optic powered reticle. even if both the fiber and tritium go bad the reticle is still there. the reputation for durability is better than aimpoint's.

anyway its just my preference
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,219
Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
batteries and electronics. vortex is prolly the best of the lower end rds out there but i cant get past the fact that electrics fail me at the worst time. ive spent enough time with electronics to know they are fickle beasts at best and shouldnt be trusted.

i dont trust aimpoint for much either but the wife likes hers.

my ohsht optics are from trijicon and nightforce. prefer trijicon because of the tritium lamps and fiber optic powered reticle. even if both the fiber and tritium go bad the reticle is still there. the reputation for durability is better than aimpoint's.

anyway its just my preference
Makes sense. That is the rationale I have for having backup iron sights and/or quick detachable mounts for electronic sights.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,403
Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
batteries and electronics. vortex is prolly the best of the lower end rds out there but i cant get past the fact that electrics fail me at the worst time. ive spent enough time with electronics to know they are fickle beasts at best and shouldnt be trusted.

i dont trust aimpoint for much either but the wife likes hers.

my ohsht optics are from trijicon and nightforce. prefer trijicon because of the tritium lamps and fiber optic powered reticle. even if both the fiber and tritium go bad the reticle is still there. the reputation for durability is better than aimpoint's.

anyway its just my preference
Curious if you have had Vortex failures and if so what happened?
__________________
leave the cannoli - take the gun
chloeshooter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,219
Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Default

It may not be the experience of actual failures as much as a lack of intense testing to the extent other military optics have had. There is a significant known track record of how Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon optics, have performed in harsh environments. So, the unknown can be powerful in decision making.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
An End in Sight? jeepcreep927 Ammunition & Reloading 0 04-13-2009 05:33 AM
CZ 75 front sight kdog Gunsmithing Forum 3 02-27-2009 04:15 PM
Red Dot Sight Wonders Off AmsterDan Optics & Mounts 6 02-12-2009 04:11 PM
Sure sight Chester Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 03-22-2008 11:58 AM