Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
One reason I have never bought a red dot is many red dot's have a 3 hour battery life. All red dots use expensive hearing aid batteries. I would have to replace the battery every time I used a red dot.
my wife's aimpoint uses a common cr2032(or whatever that number is we can get em at walmart in bulk packs) battery. bought it for her 2 years ago and its never been turned off. she leaves it on setting 4 for indoor use as its her ohsht gunsite on her srm1216 atm.

anyway its due for a battery change in 2 more years. bit longer than 3 hours unless my math is off.

but you are right about cheaper rds sights they go through batteries like oprah through a buffet line.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my wife's aimpoint uses a common cr2032(or whatever that number is we can get em at walmart in bulk packs) battery. bought it for her 2 years ago and its never been turned off. she leaves it on setting 4 for indoor use as its her ohsht gunsite on her srm1216 atm. anyway its due for a battery change in 2 more years. bit longer than 3 hours unless my math is off. but you are right about cheaper rds sights they go through batteries like oprah through a buffet line.
Mine is dirt cheap. No problems with battery life, it's still on the original after a year. It holds a zero even after having been banged around in deer stands and on 4 wheelers and exercises on the range quite a bit too.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
just saw this: $119 (best price I have ever seen on these). Weekend deal ONLY

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html

Again, thanks for heads up. I ordered one at that price. It comes with the extra high 30mm rings, if needed, do you think Vortex will sell the low rings?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #34

Default Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

I checked the Vortex site and ordered the low rings for $19 plus shipping. Gotta love answering my own dumb question. Too early, too cold, need coffee.

Last edited by pduque; 01-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Mine is dirt cheap. No problems with battery life, it's still on the original after a year. It holds a zero even after having been banged around in deer stands and on 4 wheelers and exercises on the range quite a bit too.
mileage varies. both my vortex sparc and strikefire are using the original batteries but i dont trust them for anything serious just for plinking.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
mileage varies. both my vortex sparc and strikefire are using the original batteries but i dont trust them for anything serious just for plinking.
Why do you not trust your Vortex stuff, and what do you trust for serious stuff?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Why do you not trust your Vortex stuff, and what do you trust for serious stuff?
batteries and electronics. vortex is prolly the best of the lower end rds out there but i cant get past the fact that electrics fail me at the worst time. ive spent enough time with electronics to know they are fickle beasts at best and shouldnt be trusted.

i dont trust aimpoint for much either but the wife likes hers.

my ohsht optics are from trijicon and nightforce. prefer trijicon because of the tritium lamps and fiber optic powered reticle. even if both the fiber and tritium go bad the reticle is still there. the reputation for durability is better than aimpoint's.

anyway its just my preference

Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #38

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
batteries and electronics. vortex is prolly the best of the lower end rds out there but i cant get past the fact that electrics fail me at the worst time. ive spent enough time with electronics to know they are fickle beasts at best and shouldnt be trusted.

my ohsht optics are from trijicon and nightforce. prefer trijicon because of the tritium lamps and fiber optic powered reticle. even if both the fiber and tritium go bad the reticle is still there. the reputation for durability is better than aimpoint's.

Makes sense. That is the rationale I have for having backup iron sights and/or quick detachable mounts for electronic sights.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:

Curious if you have had Vortex failures and if so what happened?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #40

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

It may not be the experience of actual failures as much as a lack of intense testing to the extent other military optics have had. There is a significant known track record of how Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon optics, have performed in harsh environments. So, the unknown can be powerful in decision making.