Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red Dot Sight for under $200 that I can count on?

I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I'm having trouble finding a good Red Dot Sight for the dollar. I want to put one on my CETME/HK G3 Rifle (Semi-Auto; .308 Winchester). Perhaps an all purpose one that would work for most all applications.

I've bought a simple $20 Red dot Sight and had the hardest time sighting that sucker in. I can't get it perfect for close and long ranges at the same time (I only went to a 25 yard indoor range and shot at small rifle targets). That sight wasn't good enough, and now I find myself selling it.

I want a Red Dot Sight, but nothing as expensive as an ACOG that can go as far as $500+.

Anyone know of a Red Dot Sight (not one that zooms in, but I'm not ruling that one out) that will give me the confidence and ranges of at least 100 yards that would be no more than $300 or $400? Or even better one that's about $200 or less?

I don't have too much experience with these sights, and I don't want to buy another one and waste my money.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any red dot sight that does not subtend the average bullseye at 100 yds will be much more money than you want to spend...remember, a 4"moa rating means it subtends a 4" circle at 100 yds...not exactly target quality optics. A 2moa dot will cost you a pretty penny, and is still more of an obstruction than I would want when shooting a 100 yd. target. For hunting it may be fine, but for target shooting you are better off with a scope. Red Dot sights are generally used for rapid-fire torso sized targets and CQB work where targets are in the 25 to 50 yd. range.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-16-2009 at 03:19 PM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 08-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

BTW, an ACOG is not a red dot sight - it's a scope with an illuminated reticle. The military uses Eotech's on their guns but these aren't cheap either.

As I wanted (needed?) magnification on my AR I found an ACOG used. I see used Eotech's advertised quite often so this is the path you may want to take...

Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
BTW, an ACOG is not a red dot sight - it's a scope with an illuminated reticle. The military uses Eotech's on their guns but these aren't cheap either.

As I wanted (needed?) magnification on my AR I found an ACOG used. I see used Eotech's advertised quite often so this is the path you may want to take...
That information is very helpful. I think I'll look at the used EoTechs. I may just get a scope instead, but that's a different forum topic all together. A guy at my local gun store told me that to get a good scope, I have to expect to pay as much for the scope as I did on the rifle. I've heard stories of people having scopes that aren't up to par, so his info seemed realistic.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
That information is very helpful. I think I'll look at the used EoTechs. I may just get a scope instead, but that's a different forum topic all together. A guy at my local gun store told me that to get a good scope, I have to expect to pay as much for the scope as I did on the rifle. I've heard stories of people having scopes that aren't up to par, so his info seemed realistic.
If you don't plan on hunting in Alaska or western Elk hunts where climate and rough handling are a concern, a good scope for general hunting/target practice shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks. WalMart sells the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x and the cheaper Leupold Rifleman series both for under $200. Even a good Simmons or Bushnell will serve you well. Gun shops generally push the high-end stuff...All of the brands I mentioned offer good quality glass, multi-layer coatings, and nitrogen charging. You don't need anything else!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
bluez Likes This 
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
If you don't plan on hunting in Alaska or western Elk hunts where climate and rough handling are a concern, a good scope for general hunting/target practice shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks. WalMart sells the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x and the cheaper Leupold Rifleman series both for under $200. Even a good Simmons or Bushnell will serve you well. Gun shops generally push the high-end stuff...All of the brands I mentioned offer good quality glass, multi-layer coatings, and nitrogen charging. You don't need anything else!
Roger that. It's just like anything. They all try to get you to buy the most expensive stuff. That's very reassuring. Maybe I'll get that scope sooner than I thought. I think I remember spotting some scopes at Wal-Mart. Thanks alot, pal. Definetely good advice. I can't wait to get out there and do some long range shooting. Hopefully my rifle is good for it. It's got to be if it's a .308 Not a bolt-action, but I'm sure it'll do the job well (it's a semi-auto) (CETME rifle).

Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here are two versions of the Vortex Strikefire:

Results for strikefire - Sorted by Best Match, on Page 1 (20 Items) - OpticsPlanet

I have one of each type on a 1. Flat top AR and 2. Ruger 1022.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #8

If you want to try something under 200 bucks that's both unique and extremely reliable, try an OEG from Armson! Great company, great people, great products. ArmsonUSA.com then check out the O.E.G. sights. I'm actually switching most of my long-guns over to Armson sights.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #9

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I was recently in your exact shoes, looking for an inexpensive reliable holosight. From all my research this is what I found.

Bushnell HOLOsight Holographic Standard Reticle Laser Handgun Sight 510021 51-0021 Holo Sight 510023 510023ap

From everything I have read its made by the same company that makes EOTech so you get the same quality, and I have seen it and shot with it first hand, its a very nice sight. The only difference I can see is there is no metal case with the Bushnell. The only problem with this sight is finding it in stock.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Burris Gold FastFire

I bought this for my HD Mossy. I've never owned any other optics, but this seems to be built well, and holds its position on a 12-ga. The price was about $170 when I got mine about 4 months ago from Cabelas, so perhaps people are catching on?

Burris Gold FastFire