Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Red dot sight or scope? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/red-dot-sight-scope-25064/)

The_Rican 03-23-2010 06:48 PM

Red dot sight or scope?

I am in the process of getting an AR-12 .223. I would like to buy a red dot sight or scope but don't know much about what to buy.. I have seen all sorts of prices but I would like to keep it in the $100 to $150 if possible (if it's less then great).

Any advice? If it helps I just started in this sport, I have a lot to learn..
Thanks in advance.

ThorsHammer 03-23-2010 07:10 PM

Hey! Why don't you stop by the Introductions thread and tell us a few things about you so we can get to know you first?

stalkingbear 03-23-2010 07:40 PM

How are you wanting to use it and for what purposes and ranges? That will determine which may perform better for your uses. Both have their strengths & weaknesses.

The_Rican 03-23-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 255778)
How are you wanting to use it and for what purposes and ranges? That will determine which may perform better for your uses. Both have their strengths & weaknesses.

So far i would start shooting at the range, eventually maybe hunting... At least till I get another rifle.

The_Rican 03-23-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorsHammer (Post 255765)
Hey! Why don't you stop by the Introductions thread and tell us a few things about you so we can get to know you first?

Ok.. I did. What would you like to know?

ThorsHammer 03-23-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rican (Post 255842)
Ok.. I did. What would you like to know?

Just whatever you feel like sharing. Some post age and location in the world, others go more into detail about what their gun related hobbies are, what they are interested in such as hunting, shooting, and whatnot. All up to you! Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the forums! :D

stalkingbear 03-23-2010 11:51 PM

Based on that and not knowing your budget a conventional scope might work slightly better for you. With red dot sites the battery may run down and you may lose some precision as compared to a good scope. The good ol 3x-9x is hard to beat. Keep it turned down for hunting and up for range plinking.

The_Rican 03-25-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 255968)
Based on that and not knowing your budget a conventional scope might work slightly better for you. With red dot sites the battery may run down and you may lose some precision as compared to a good scope. The good ol 3x-9x is hard to beat. Keep it turned down for hunting and up for range plinking.

Do you recomend anything in particular? Also, if I go the red/green dot route, what do you recomend?

Warren2 04-15-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rican (Post 255755)
I am in the process of getting an AR-12 .223. I would like to buy a red dot sight or scope but don't know much about what to buy.. I have seen all sorts of prices but I would like to keep it in the $100 to $150 if possible (if it's less then great).

Any advice? If it helps I just started in this sport, I have a lot to learn..
Thanks in advance.

For range shooting and distance hunting defiantly go for a scope.

Now if your looking for quick alignment on quick moving targets at up to 100 yards a nice red dot sight would be more in order. In the price range you mentioned a Vortex Strike Fire red dot system at $125 would work out fine, or even cheaper would be a Tasco system at about $40 which a lot of people seem to like.

TexasPatriot.308 04-15-2010 04:14 PM

I got Ultradot red dots on a mini 14 and an AR15, great for 100 yds, maybe further, I use mine on hogs and coyotes, good fast target acquisition for about $150.:cool: