Red Dot Mounting Preference + Cowitness
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red Dot Mounting Preference + Cowitness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red Dot Mounting Preference + Cowitness

I purchased a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot, and first mounted it towards the front of the factory rail about centered over the magazine of my PLR-16.

This seems to work fine, but renders the rear iron sight useless. The TRS-25 has a little deal on the bottom right corner that prevents cowitness (noob to these type of sights, but I understand that to mean that in the event the battery is out or whatever, you can still shoot just fine using the irons).

I found however, that if I mount the red dot in place of the rear iron sight at the very back of the rail, and relocate the rear iron to the front of the rail, the irons can be very easily seen through the glass. This would also seem to make the gun less nose heavy.

Can someone explain why this is a good or stupid idea?

This is the sight picture, sorry the dot was turned off:

PS: As a homebody, my TRS-25 is not likely to get damaged or run out of battery, so should I even bother with having backup irons and just pull em off? Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

have you shot it with the sights like you have them now? if you can hit accurately, then they should be okay. most red dot type sights don't magnify and are 1x scopes. so just try it out and see if it works for you like it is. if it works, looks good. welcome to the forum.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Yes, its a 1x 25mm, won't get to try it out until Friday. Moved the RD a bit forward and the iron a bit back, to increase the radius a bit at the expense of blocking more of the bottom third of the RD view.

I just figured I should ask since I couldn't find anyone that puts the rear iron in front of the RD, nor was I really sure where exactly you're supposed to mount a RD sight (its my first) if it even matters. Logic tells me that the further back it is, the bigger the view, which I'd think would be a good thing.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

without looking through it and shooting it i couldn't say for sure. but shooting it will tell you a lot and if you need to make some changes. my red dot mounts on my carry handle scope mount and are set up so that i can still use the iron sights if i need to.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you can still line up the sights as normally then no it's not bad. The shorter sight radius won't help with ease-of-aiming, but then again a semi-auto, iron-sighted pistol isn't necessarily meant to be a precision shooter (not that it couldn't be, though). But, for a back-up thing, your setup should work just fine for emergencies, again as long as the sights can still be lined up properly.

And the reason I keep mentioning sight alignment is because Im having trouble figuring out how you can't line up the sights with it behind the dot, but can light them up with it in front of the dot, given they are all on the same plane anyways. It seems like if the tube blocks the rear sight one way, it would block it when they are reversed.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

The bottom right corner of the RD sight is blocked out.

I actually have a problem seeing the rear iron sight set in front as well if I move the iron TOO far back towards the RD sight.

I suppose when the RD is closer to your eye, you can "look over" the visual hurdle on the bottom and the iron being downrange becomes progressively smaller to where less and less is obscured. Make any sense?

I adjusted the back iron a bit further back per recommendation, and now for example you can't see the bottom of the iron sight anymore, and the visual hurdle in the RD just touches the top of the iron.