Red dot with magnifier

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Red dot with magnifier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Red dot with magnifier

I'm getting ready to build my first AR, and I'm looking at a red dot with a 3x magnifier. My build is a 20 inch with RRA 2 stage trigger, and is intended to be used for some distance shooting, but it would be fun to have the <100yd options open. I figure I can use the red dot for close range practice, and keep a 3x magnifier on a quick release mount or one of those nifty flip-to-the-side deals, and get the best of both worlds.
I may find it better to put a longer range scope on, and use irons when I'm feeling too lazy to set targets 200yds out. If anyone here has used the dot+magnifier setup, how much distance can I really expect to get out of it? Would it be practical at, say 300yds?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

300 is well in range of a 3x and a great (AIMPOINT) or good (EoTech) and an Aimpoint 3x in a Larue mount.

In lesser quality red dots they will distort/ turn into jelly under a magnifier at distance.

EoTech is a 1 MOA inside a 65 MOA, easy to use at close and long range. Aimpoints (depending on model) have a 2MOA or a 4 MOA option. For your purposes I would say you are looking at a 2MOA.

YMMV, FWIW

Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Would the vortex SPARC with 2x screw in and 3x magnifier have a long enough range to justify the 20" barrel and 2 stage trigger, or do I need 2 ARs? Because that would be just AWFUL .

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Red Dot+ Mag

I've been using and EoTech 516(unreal battery life) with 5x Mako(so-so quality, less expensive) on a Larue fts. It's great! 1/2/300+ Yds is no problem! Don't compromise in the optics dept. There is another company for magnifiers. DM Premium Optics

good luck!