Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Reccomendations 2x to 6x Optics for AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reccomendations 2x to 6x Optics for AR

I would like some opinions and recommendations for optics cheap and pricey, pros an cons. I'm wanting a ACOG class sight but in not versed in optics and I have seen it get kind of pricey.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

Trey,

If you are thinking in line of a Tactical type optic and not a scope.

The ACOG sight is a fine sight but also has some factors to consider. That being it has magnification so it makes any cowitness with the iron sights impossible. One must plan on using it exclusively. My recommendation would be a Aimpoint Pro or one of the EOTech Models with the 123 battery. Both have cowitness capabilities. If price is an issue you can go with an EOTech Model 512 or similar optic which uses AA Batteries. For them I would recommend Lithium AA Batteries or Industrial grade AAs.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5087 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4253

Magnification notwithstanding, IMHO, ACOG is the way to go. 3 to 4 power is perfect. Good for CQB and out to 500 yards.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Using a Kahles K16i 1-6 and could not be happier. Was using the NF 1-4 and its a great scope but I wanted a little more mag. It's pricy but sometimes ya have to get a little crazy .

The thing I like most about the scope is the lack of tunneling and distortion at 1X and with a ridiculously bright reticle, it takes the place of my EO tech so, I can use it on the shorty and it works well on a 20" as well.

My 2

CK

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5131 Times on 2673 Posts
Likes Given: 312

depends on what your goal for the rifle is. my ohsht gotowar carbine has an acog and its pretty much strictly a gun that is sitting in the safe for when folks figure out how much hell obamacare is going to give em and the looting and rioting start.

it also has buis but anything that is capable of breaking an acog is highly likely to kill you and put the rifle out of commission anyway...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks to all replied. That seems like good info and I'll do some research on what you have given me.