Quick question: Should I return this scope? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Quick question: Should I return this scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Yeah, "Which hole does the bullet come out of?" is not a question that you want to ask AFTER handling the new, loaded gun.
the marine manual for the m16a2 actualy read pointy end of the bullet goes away from you...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the marine manual for the m16a2 actualy read pointy end of the bullet goes away from you...
Really? I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #23

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Something interesting is that I called OpticsPlanet when my scope was "malfunctioning." They were very helpful, at least the lady put me on hold to get some help from a higher power.

She apparently called the Nikon rep, who told her that my scope must have been defective.

Assuming that every scope, used in the wrong direction, makes everything get smaller when adjusted, why did the Nikon rep not hear my problem and not immediately suggest I turn it around? Does everyone (except people like stalkingbear) assume competence?

You'd think any rep would have heard this many times!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #24

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Something interesting is that I called OpticsPlanet when my scope was "malfunctioning." They were very helpful, at least the lady put me on hold to get some help from a higher power.

She apparently called the Nikon rep, who told her that my scope must have been defective.

Assuming that every scope, used in the wrong direction, makes everything get smaller when adjusted, why did the Nikon rep not hear my problem and not immediately suggest I turn it around? Does everyone (except people like stalkingbear) assume competence?

You'd think any rep would have heard this many times!
I can almost guarantee you the Nikon CS guy has never held a gun scope in his hands. He is just running through a computer script that says, "Send it back". He is probably in a country that does not even allow private gun ownership. As soon as I read your post I knew you had the scope backwards. It is a LOT more common that you'd assume. AAMOF there was a guy that posted a video on this site that had a MN with a scope on backwards. Years ago I spent a lot of time at a local GS helping out my friend the owner and I would say at least 25% of the folks that came in looking for a scope held it up to their eyes backwards. I had to reverse a few home mounted scopes myself. No shame on a simple mistake, we all learn one incident at a time.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2397 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Chris,

The mounting of the scope looks good! On the AR Platform most scopes should be mounted so that the eye piece is even or very slightly forward of the Charging Handle and on the receiver. This always affirms proper eye relief. Regarding using the charging handle to charge the weapon. You can just keep the bolt locked back when loading. Insert the magazine and push the bolt catch. We teach to use the heel of the hand on the bolt catch to load the chamber since in critical situations you can loose fine motor skills. Let the Bolt Carrier strip the first round out of the magazine which insures a positive loading and lock up. Sometimes if a person uses the charging handle and eases it forward the AR does not lock completely up into battery. Then when you pull the trigger "Nothing!" (Not Completely Closed). We certainly do not recommend using the forward assist either. Also just for information regarding the magazine. The even rounds are always on the right in the magazine and the odd rounds are on the left. This also provides confirmation that the round was loaded from the magazine. And even in the pitch black of night you can pull the magazine out after loading and feel the rounds in the magazine and tell if one loaded.