Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Question about ghost rings....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about ghost rings....

I am not familiar with ghost rings....good for pistol......rifle.....big bore......medium? costly worthwhile?.....thanks for any input

Last edited by abigguy; 09-17-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: mis spell

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ghost rings sights are used for fast target acquisition. They are primarily used for shotguns but are also used in rifles. The thinner the circle on the rear sight the faster and less accurate the gun is. The thicker the ring the more accurate but acquisition is slower. Some hunters will put them on rifles when hunting in thick brush so that they can react quicker. Pretty common on newer tactical shotguns.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I was just looking through Combat Handguns magazine and they show a ghost ring sight on a handgun. Would that be good for target shooting?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I was just looking through Combat Handguns magazine and they show a ghost ring sight on a handgun. Would that be good for target shooting?
No, a peep sight is far better for target shooting. Most target leagues specify what kind of sights are to be used. The idea is to see who can get the best out of the same equipment, not who can buy the best gun.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-20-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3744

A ghost ring is primarily a short range, very fast tactical sight, although they are also useful for heavy timber hunting.

vincent Likes This 
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I bought a "heat shield" that came with ghost rings for my 880. For a 18.5" barrel specifically designed for home defense, I like them. As posted earlier, quick target acquisition is the name of the game when using a gun that is fitted with ghost rings so the larger the rings the better. A better option (in my opinion) would be a good red dot sight d/t the ability to have both eyes open when aiming. The only draw back is having to turn it on...

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00
My hi-point c9 came with extra ghost ring rear sight you could put on. I never quite liked it.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion9

My hi-point c9 came with extra ghost ring rear sight you could put on. I never quite liked it.
My hi point 9mm carbine came with them. Never had any guns with them. I tried to get used to using them but could not get the accuracy I wanted. Took them off and put on a cheap red dot. Happy. Also passed on them when I ordered my mossberg 590A1. The bead is what I grew up looking over my shotguns at. Guess you just can't teach this old dog new tricks.

NEVER FORGET