Question about crosshairs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Question about crosshairs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about crosshairs

I recently got my first scope, and I noticed something strange as I was sighting it.

When looking at the crosshairs (Truplex) at a solid background, the crosshairs are very crisp and easy to see.

However, looking at a busy background (such as a red/white 10 point target), the crosshairs get blurry. Now, I can still see them, but no matter how I change the focus, I can't get them crisp. However, when I shift to a blank portion of my target, they immediately get crisp again.

Now, I'm shooting quarter-sized groupings at 75 yards (which I'm okay with as someone who hasn't really shot a gun in a few years), so I don't think it's really effecting my shooting. I was just unaware this might happen.

Is this normal?

Relevant information: I only have 5% of normal depth perception due to surgery I had on my eyes when I was very young. That eye surgery made me left-eye dominant, and I'm sighting through my right eye.

Also, I'm suing this scope (the 3-9x40)

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

It sounds like your just going from focusing on the target to the crosshairs and back and that is why they get a little fuzzy. I focus on the target and make sure i put the crosshairs exactly where I want them. You eye problems may also have something to do with it as well. as you say you are left eye dominant and shooting out of your right eye.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about crosshairs

It may very well be your eye problem but I had to same thing happen with a very cheap off the wall brand scope. I finally chucked it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Take your scope (and rifle) outside on a clear blue day and point it at the cloudless sky. Close your eyes for several seconds and let them relax. When you open your eyes and look at the sky through your scope, the cross hairs should be dark and clearly defined. If not - adjust the eyepiece a bit. Repeat as necessary until you get a sharp, dark reticule as soon as you open your eyes.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The rear bell on most scopes has a focus adjustment that can be adjusted so that the crosshairs are crisp at the various distances you are shooting at. Try twisting the rear bell right and left for the proper focus adjustment.

Also, if you have an adjustable objective (A.O.) scope on the front bell of your scope, make sure that the setting agrees with the distances you are shooting at.

It's not uncommon at all for eyesight to be a problem when using a scope. Eyeglasses and contacts can cause a bunch of complications when shooting.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Take your scope (and rifle) outside on a clear blue day and point it at the cloudless sky. Close your eyes for several seconds and let them relax. When you open your eyes and look at the sky through your scope, the cross hairs should be dark and clearly defined. If not - adjust the eyepiece a bit. Repeat as necessary until you get a sharp, dark reticule as soon as you open your eyes.
I have, and just did.

Problem still exists.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
The rear bell on most scopes has a focus adjustment that can be adjusted so that the crosshairs are crisp at the various distances you are shooting at. Try twisting the rear bell right and left for the proper focus adjustment.

Also, if you have an adjustable objective (A.O.) scope on the front bell of your scope, make sure that the setting agrees with the distances you are shooting at.

It's not uncommon at all for eyesight to be a problem when using a scope. Eyeglasses and contacts can cause a bunch of complications when shooting.

Adjusting the focus only makes it worse, not better. Even the best setting for when I look at a blank image (blank spot on the target, for example), turns to a blurred image when I look at something that is "busy". I do not have an A.O. scope, unfortunately.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Adjusting the focus only makes it worse, not better. Even the best setting for when I look at a blank image (blank spot on the target, for example), turns to a blurred image when I look at something that is "busy". I do not have an A.O. scope, unfortunately.
Sad to say that it may not be your eyesight, but the scope. I've thrown out scopes that were blurry without being able to get them focused. What brand are you using? Is there anyone you know that has another rifle with a scope on it that you can try to see if it's you or the scope?

Natchez has Simmons 3X9X32 .22 Mag Scopes with A.O. on sale for $39.99 in black or silver color right now and that is an outstanding price for an excellent economy .22 scope. That's what I use on my 10/22's and they work great. Maybe Santa can swing it for you?

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-30-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
It sounds like your just going from focusing on the target to the crosshairs and back and that is why they get a little fuzzy. I focus on the target and make sure i put the crosshairs exactly where I want them. You eye problems may also have something to do with it as well. as you say you are left eye dominant and shooting out of your right eye.
I think its probably what Tango described. Its like looking at one of those optical illusions.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Sad to say that it may not be your eyesight, but the scope. I've thrown out scopes that were blurry without being able to get them focused. What brand are you using? Is there anyone you know that has another rifle with a scope on it that you can try to see if it's you or the scope?

Natchez has Simmons 3X9X32 .22 Mag Scopes with A.O. on sale for $39.99 in black or silver color right now and that is an outstanding price for an excellent economy .22 scope. That's what I use on my 10/22's and they work great. Maybe Santa can swing it for you?
Actually, the scope I'm using is a Simmons 3-9x40; it's a step up from the model that you're talking about, and I got it for $45 (long, convoluted issue with Cabelas where they discounted a scope quite a bit for my trouble). It was originally an $80 scope, and they comped the scope rings.

I don't know anybody else who shoots, that I could borrow a scope from and look through.

I'm kinda feeling that it might just be my eye/depth perception issue. I don't plan on buying a new scope because of this, because, honestly, I don't think it's really effecting my aim. I guess I was really asking more because all of my "scope knowledge" as far as what one sees comes from Hollywood.