Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Picatinny Rails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Picatinny Rails

Can you use a standard scope mount to mount a scope on a picatinny rail system or are there special mounts? I'm thinking about getting an M16A3 kit soon, so I'd like to know if I need to also get different scope rings for my optics.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #2

Weaver and Picitinny mounts are interchangeable. The slot size and spacing are slightly different. Use Weaver or Picitinny.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
Can you use a standard scope mount to mount a scope on a picatinny rail system or are there special mounts? I'm thinking about getting an M16A3 kit soon, so I'd like to know if I need to also get different scope rings for my optics.
just about any rings work on picatinny rails. its pretty universal. the only issue you may have is a return to zero after removing your device high quality rail and high quality rings will generallly return to zero. mileage varies and its pretty much luck of the draw how well it does. but just mounting them and leaving pretty much any ring works.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Picatinny are close to Weaver, but they are not the same. Same general style, but not the same specifications.

The Picatinny is wider than the Weaver and the claw angle is different. And the depth and width of the cross slots are different, too.

It is best to use Picatinny rings with Picatinny rails, and Weaver rings with Weaver raisl, though you can get away with mixing them up fairly well.

For any type of precision use, mixing the two will not give optimum results, especially is using a quick release style of ring.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."