Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ?? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Not busting your balls here.
I am a gunsmith.
The sight is dovetailed. To a trained eye it is blatantly obvious. Based solely on your apprehension you should bring it to a gunsmith.
When in doubt, contract it out.
I'll second that. Ive gotten over my head a time or two and was lucky enough to have a gunsmith near by. With the proper tools & training, itis amazing what they can do.

There is a learning curve to many things. Take a tip from the Oracle @ Delphi - "Know Thyself"

If your over 30, you should know your limitations by now.
If your a teenager - just get a bigger hammer

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #22

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I'll second that. Ive gotten over my head a time or two and was lucky enough to have a gunsmith near by. With the proper tools & training, itis amazing what they can do.

There is a learning curve to many things. Take a tip from the Oracle @ Delphi - "Know Thyself"

If your over 30, you should know your limitations by now.
If your a teenager - just get a bigger hammer
Ok I will eat my hat if thats a dovetail . Ill bring it somewhere soon . theres records of 45lc being soldered but it alleges .30 30 is dovetailed but i cant see anything ressembling a dovetail here but I am not a trained eye either. But I thought a dovetail would be easy to spot the seam . meh

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post

Ok I will eat my hat if thats a dovetail .
What kind of hat??? Pics???

I don't need No stinking signature.

Gh0zt36 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:

Ok I will eat my hat if thats a dovetail . Ill bring it somewhere soon . theres records of 45lc being soldered but it alleges .30 30 is dovetailed but i cant see anything ressembling a dovetail here but I am not a trained eye either. But I thought a dovetail would be easy to spot the seam . meh
I think you might be looking for the dovetail in the wrong angle. When they speak of a dovetail on a firearm...you look at the side of the sight...the sight blade is attached to the base (usually the same piece of metal just milled away) which is angled, fatter at the bottom thinner at the top. The barrel has a complimentary slot milled out of it. Those of us who know what to look for are so sure (thanks to your pics) because we can see the angles i described.

Also, don't be sorry for asking questions. We were all noobs once. That's how we got to where we are!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
I think you might be looking for the dovetail in the wrong angle. When they speak of a dovetail on a firearm...you look at the side of the sight...the sight blade is attached to the base (usually the same piece of metal just milled away) which is angled, fatter at the bottom thinner at the top. The barrel has a complimentary slot milled out of it. Those of us who know what to look for are so sure (thanks to your pics) because we can see the angles i described.

Also, don't be sorry for asking questions. We were all noobs once. That's how we got to where we are!
Thanks for the comment. I dunno I guessed I was experienced enough in a firearm I could tell a dove tail seam when I saw one. the sides of the sights look like one piece solid metal to me. Ya learn something new everyday.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #26

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Nobody knows everything. Some just think they do.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Gh0zt36 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #27

Here she is wearing her newly fitted wideview scope rings ( can't shoot her yet though cause one of the base screw allan key screw heads wasn't machined and doesn't have the allan key receptacle . But I called the company and they said they will send a screw out ) And a tasco world class 3-9x50 scope. Only problem is I never considered the lens dia because I thought the rings would be high enough to clear the irons. And I guess they do , barely. I have like a 3mm sight picture on the irons because of the lens dia hahahah . Only thing I don't like is the eye relief on the scope isn't all that great . So I just moved the scope back a bit more than I would have liked and its ok now.

I might just sell the scope and put the $$ towards a 3-9x38 or something similar.

Looks good though aye? I know a lot of purists will think I ruined the guns asthetics and to a point I agree but I really dig the rings so I think it looks pretty trick .

Ok , I may ditch the scope altogether. I apologize to all . looking at the front sight from the top you can clearly see the dove tail lip coming up over the sight by the way.

So I'm thinking williams fool proof peep sight and williams front fire site combo might be more what I need

20130723_183809.jpg   20130723_183825.jpg  

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-24-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #28

moved to classifieds

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-24-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Here she is wearing her newly fitted wideview scope rings ( can't shoot her yet though cause one of the base screw allan key screw heads wasn't machined and doesn't have the allan key receptacle . But I called the company and they said they will send a screw out ) And a tasco world class 3-9x50 scope. Only problem is I never considered the lens dia because I thought the rings would be high enough to clear the irons. And I guess they do , barely. I have like a 3mm sight picture on the irons because of the lens dia hahahah . Only thing I don't like is the eye relief on the scope isn't all that great . So I just moved the scope back a bit more than I would have liked and its ok now.

I might just sell the scope and put the $$ towards a 3-9x38 or something similar.

Looks good though aye? I know a lot of purists will think I ruined the guns asthetics and to a point I agree but I really dig the rings so I think it looks pretty trick .

Ok , I may ditch the scope altogether. I apologize to all . looking at the front sight from the top you can clearly see the dove tail lip coming up over the sight by the way.

So I'm thinking williams fool proof peep sight and williams front fire site combo might be more what I need

My neck hurts just looking at it. I guess you would call me a purist but I love my peep sight and front sight. I had a red front sight but it didn't show up in low light so I went to white and a little lower. (guess I didn't measure well)

The one thing I did wrong was I listened to my gunsmith and went w the cheaper peep sight. I have to loosen screws, move the sight and then tighten them. His point was you only have to do this once, 30-30s don't move a lot.

I w rather just move a adj dial for windage n elevation. I like to hear the clicks. The new fire sights look great but I prefer green when it comes to fiber optics.

IMHO - peep sights are faster on target. As I get older, the Deer seem to be getting faster except the ones who walk around in my yard as if they own it.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 07-24-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
My neck hurts just looking at it. I guess you would call me a purist but I love my peep sight and front sight. I had a red front sight but it didn't show up in low light so I went to white and a little lower. (guess I didn't measure well)

The one thing I did wrong was I listened to my gunsmith and went w the cheaper peep sight. I have to loosen screws, move the sight and then tighten them. His point was you only have to do this once, 30-30s don't move a lot.

I w rather just move a adj dial for windage n elevation. I like to hear the clicks. The new fire sights look great but I prefer green when it comes to fiber optics.

IMHO - peep sights are faster on target. As I get older, the Deer seem to be getting faster except the ones who walk around in my yard as if they own it.
Right right. Im going with the fool proof williams peep. But so far I can only find red for the front sight . it comes as a set . from midway for 71 bucks

That being said the scope is fairly comfortable. The eye relief sucks but thats just the scope.

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-25-2013 at 09:03 PM.