Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Default Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ??

I got the scope mount / rins that have the wideview lower coming so you can mount a scope AND goto the irons with no adjustment.

So first I have a cheap tasco world class 3-9x50 for it ( rings havnt got here yet ) This a decent beater scope for a .30-30? Anyone have experience? I didn't know if it would hold zero on a .30-30

And next I got these http://www.amazon.com/Wideview-Scope-Mount-WSM-94AE-Winchester/dp/B002GNJMBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374046051&sr=8-1&keywords=winchester+94ae

15 bucks shipped. And people seemed to be happy with them in the reviews cept a couple folks. But these irons are dark as night . Anyone ever painted blade sights? Does it really help in low light? I was thinking bout trying some neon green glow in the dark nail polish for a poor mans night sight. What do you folks think?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
I got the scope mount / rins that have the wideview lower coming so you can mount a scope AND goto the irons with no adjustment.

So first I have a cheap tasco world class 3-9x50 for it ( rings havnt got here yet ) This a decent beater scope for a .30-30? Anyone have experience? I didn't know if it would hold zero on a .30-30

And next I got these http://www.amazon.com/Wideview-Scope-Mount-WSM-94AE-Winchester/dp/B002GNJMBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374046051&sr=8-1&keywords=winchester+94ae

15 bucks shipped. And people seemed to be happy with them in the reviews cept a couple folks. But these irons are dark as night . Anyone ever painted blade sights? Does it really help in low light? I was thinking bout trying some neon green glow in the dark nail polish for a poor mans night sight. What do you folks think?
I've heard that the taco scopes will hold up for .22's and such. With that said I'm not to sure if it will hold zero. You can paint your iron sight, IMO I would paint it white. I did the same thing and painted the sight neon green and couldn't see it outside hardly. I might would even try red.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

I'm not a fan of really high see-through rings. They seem to take my head too high off the stock to get a good cheek weld.

The World Class line if scopes should do alright on a .30-30. Many were sold along with Winchester and Marlin .30-30 rifles as rifle/scope packages.

You can paint the sights. I recommend only painting the front, and going with fluorescent orange, because it doesn't occur in nature.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post

For a few years we ordered our engines painted that raunchy green color. Firefighter injuries went up, so as soon as we could write them off, we went back to red. People couldn't see the green as well as they could see the red. That's not to say they will always see that big red truck with the really bright flashing red lights, but the injuries did drop after the color change.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I'm not a fan of really high see-through rings. They seem to take my head too high off the stock to get a good cheek weld.

The World Class line if scopes should do alright on a .30-30. Many were sold along with Winchester and Marlin .30-30 rifles as rifle/scope packages.

You can paint the sights. I recommend only painting the front, and going with fluorescent orange, because it doesn't occur in nature.
With the sun beaming on an orange sight I believe it wouldn't be to visible.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
With the sun beaming on an orange sight I believe it wouldn't be to visible.
Why not? If the sun is behind you it is still adding the same sunlight that reflects off that bright orange paint. If you are pointing into the sun, the orange may not show up, but you get a silhouette effect instead, which makes the sight visible.

I'm recommending orange based off of what I've seen. Trijicon recently released a new line of night sights that have an orange ring around the tritium capsule. A guy at a practical pistol shoot had one of these sights. I asked him about it because I could see his front sight from behind the firing line. Broad daylight in Florida.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Why not? If the sun is behind you it is still adding the same sunlight that reflects off that bright orange paint. If you are pointing into the sun, the orange may not show up, but you get a silhouette effect instead, which makes the sight visible.

I'm recommending orange based off of what I've seen. Trijicon recently released a new line of night sights that have an orange ring around the tritium capsule. A guy at a practical pistol shoot had one of these sights. I asked him about it because I could see his front sight from behind the firing line. Broad daylight in Florida.
That sounds pretty neat. I haven't seen those yet. I bet they are pretty sweet night sights. Just thinking about the sun if its in your eyes and looking into a target seems like it would throw me off. Ill have to look into those for the xd thanks for sharing.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

S&W default sight inserts are orange. Knowing S&W I would guess there is a reason for that. Could it be that it is the best choice for all light conditions? I second your recommendation.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Thanks for the ideas fellers. I never took into account cheek weld with these rings. I guess we'll have to see how she runs if they dont work my alternnate sight will be a wild west AO gh0zt sight or a lyman peeper. I read some guy was hitting paper plates @ 350 yards with a lyman . And that's pretty impressive for a .30-30 either way I love this rifle. Somethin about an old lever gun makes me smile . I put a couple rds through it already and that gun will put a smile ear to ear on your face and a " awwwww yeaaaa " shortly following

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #10

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

pretty hard to beat fiber optic front sights. they are impressive.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

MisterMcCool Likes This