Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/paint-front-blade-sight-winchester-94ae-94024/)

Gh0zt36 07-17-2013 08:29 AM

Paint front blade sight on a winchester 94AE ??

I got the scope mount / rins that have the wideview lower coming so you can mount a scope AND goto the irons with no adjustment.

So first I have a cheap tasco world class 3-9x50 for it ( rings havnt got here yet ) This a decent beater scope for a .30-30? Anyone have experience? I didn't know if it would hold zero on a .30-30

And next I got these http://www.amazon.com/Wideview-Scope-Mount-WSM-94AE-Winchester/dp/B002GNJMBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374046051&sr=8-1&keywords=winchester+94ae

15 bucks shipped. And people seemed to be happy with them in the reviews cept a couple folks. But these irons are dark as night . Anyone ever painted blade sights? Does it really help in low light? I was thinking bout trying some neon green glow in the dark nail polish for a poor mans night sight. What do you folks think?

cblowe13 07-17-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
I got the scope mount / rins that have the wideview lower coming so you can mount a scope AND goto the irons with no adjustment.

So first I have a cheap tasco world class 3-9x50 for it ( rings havnt got here yet ) This a decent beater scope for a .30-30? Anyone have experience? I didn't know if it would hold zero on a .30-30

And next I got these http://www.amazon.com/Wideview-Scope-Mount-WSM-94AE-Winchester/dp/B002GNJMBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374046051&sr=8-1&keywords=winchester+94ae

15 bucks shipped. And people seemed to be happy with them in the reviews cept a couple folks. But these irons are dark as night . Anyone ever painted blade sights? Does it really help in low light? I was thinking bout trying some neon green glow in the dark nail polish for a poor mans night sight. What do you folks think?

I've heard that the taco scopes will hold up for .22's and such. With that said I'm not to sure if it will hold zero. You can paint your iron sight, IMO I would paint it white. I did the same thing and painted the sight neon green and couldn't see it outside hardly. I might would even try red.

SSGN_Doc 07-17-2013 12:43 PM

I'm not a fan of really high see-through rings. They seem to take my head too high off the stock to get a good cheek weld.

The World Class line if scopes should do alright on a .30-30. Many were sold along with Winchester and Marlin .30-30 rifles as rifle/scope packages.

You can paint the sights. I recommend only painting the front, and going with fluorescent orange, because it doesn't occur in nature.

Doc3402 07-17-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 (Post 1306733)

For a few years we ordered our engines painted that raunchy green color. Firefighter injuries went up, so as soon as we could write them off, we went back to red. People couldn't see the green as well as they could see the red. That's not to say they will always see that big red truck with the really bright flashing red lights, but the injuries did drop after the color change.

cblowe13 07-17-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I'm not a fan of really high see-through rings. They seem to take my head too high off the stock to get a good cheek weld.

The World Class line if scopes should do alright on a .30-30. Many were sold along with Winchester and Marlin .30-30 rifles as rifle/scope packages.

You can paint the sights. I recommend only painting the front, and going with fluorescent orange, because it doesn't occur in nature.

With the sun beaming on an orange sight I believe it wouldn't be to visible.

SSGN_Doc 07-17-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1306785)
With the sun beaming on an orange sight I believe it wouldn't be to visible.

Why not? If the sun is behind you it is still adding the same sunlight that reflects off that bright orange paint. If you are pointing into the sun, the orange may not show up, but you get a silhouette effect instead, which makes the sight visible.

I'm recommending orange based off of what I've seen. Trijicon recently released a new line of night sights that have an orange ring around the tritium capsule. A guy at a practical pistol shoot had one of these sights. I asked him about it because I could see his front sight from behind the firing line. Broad daylight in Florida.

cblowe13 07-17-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Why not? If the sun is behind you it is still adding the same sunlight that reflects off that bright orange paint. If you are pointing into the sun, the orange may not show up, but you get a silhouette effect instead, which makes the sight visible.

I'm recommending orange based off of what I've seen. Trijicon recently released a new line of night sights that have an orange ring around the tritium capsule. A guy at a practical pistol shoot had one of these sights. I asked him about it because I could see his front sight from behind the firing line. Broad daylight in Florida.

That sounds pretty neat. I haven't seen those yet. I bet they are pretty sweet night sights. Just thinking about the sun if its in your eyes and looking into a target seems like it would throw me off. Ill have to look into those for the xd thanks for sharing.

Doc3402 07-17-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1306800)

S&W default sight inserts are orange. Knowing S&W I would guess there is a reason for that. Could it be that it is the best choice for all light conditions? I second your recommendation.

Gh0zt36 07-17-2013 08:38 PM

Thanks for the ideas fellers. I never took into account cheek weld with these rings. I guess we'll have to see how she runs if they dont work my alternnate sight will be a wild west AO gh0zt sight or a lyman peeper. I read some guy was hitting paper plates @ 350 yards with a lyman . And that's pretty impressive for a .30-30 either way I love this rifle. Somethin about an old lever gun makes me smile . I put a couple rds through it already and that gun will put a smile ear to ear on your face and a " awwwww yeaaaa " shortly following

hiwall 07-17-2013 11:40 PM

pretty hard to beat fiber optic front sights. they are impressive.