Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Optics selection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/optics-selection-12600/)

supergus 04-06-2009 12:24 AM

Optics selection

I have a Bushmaster Predator flat top with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope which should be good for a few hundred yards. Problem is, I'd like something for CQC as well, as this will also be used for HD. Should I be looking at reflex, holographic, red dot? The issue is, there is no room left on the rail except between the ring mounts. I was thinking of a mounting block that positions the optic at 1 o'clock and mounting a compact optic. I'm just not sure if this will interfere with case ejection. I don't want a bunch of multi level rails cluttering things up. Any thoughts?

dog2000tj 04-07-2009 01:44 AM

Gus,

What about mounting the Nikon on a quick release? Then have a red dot/halo mounted on a quick release as well. A couple of lever pulls and 1 comes of and the other goes on.

Or, do you really want to carry 2 scopes on the rails at the same time? Maybe ditch the Nikon, put on a halo/red dot coupled with a magnifier on a flip to side lever mount?

For my 5.56 I'm leaning towards a red dot/magnifier set up with flip up iron sights for back up. Hope this helps.

truevil1313 04-07-2009 01:14 PM

That is the exact setup i have on my AR carbine,,an Aimpoint red dot, with a flip to the side mount on my 3x magnififer. This has proven to me to be the best of both worlds. It is dead on at 50yrds w/just the red dot, and flip over the magnifier and it is good to about 300yrds. With this setup I still have my front site post and flip up rear iron sites just in case. Both my red dot and the magnafier are on LaRue Tactical mounts, that have proven to me to be a true return to zero, after takeing them off and puting them back on.

I have seen on TV, the other setup that was mentioned, it is what Jerry Michlak uses on his 3 gun AR. Scope on top and mini reflex site on the side. It seems to work well for him, but lord only knows how many rounds a day he burns through to get that good with that setup.

You didnt tell us what you are doing with this rifle, If it is just for plinking or self defense, then I would go with the red dot w/ magnifier, if you plan on doing 3 gun comp. then go with the scope and side mounted reflex sight. This is just my opinion, but it what i would do.

supergus 04-07-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truevil1313 (Post 91793)
That is the exact setup i have on my AR carbine,,an Aimpoint red dot, with a flip to the side mount on my 3x magnififer. This has proven to me to be the best of both worlds. It is dead on at 50yrds w/just the red dot, and flip over the magnifier and it is good to about 300yrds. With this setup I still have my front site post and flip up rear iron sites just in case. Both my red dot and the magnafier are on LaRue Tactical mounts, that have proven to me to be a true return to zero, after takeing them off and puting them back on.

I have seen on TV, the other setup that was mentioned, it is what Jerry Michlak uses on his 3 gun AR. Scope on top and mini reflex site on the side. It seems to work well for him, but lord only knows how many rounds a day he burns through to get that good with that setup.

You didnt tell us what you are doing with this rifle, If it is just for plinking or self defense, then I would go with the red dot w/ magnifier, if you plan on doing 3 gun comp. then go with the scope and side mounted reflex sight. This is just my opinion, but it what i would do.

The setup you use is really what I was looking at but I just don't have the coin right now. I just dropped $1300 to finally get an AR after six months:mad:. The gun will be used for HD and possibly competition. Either way I NEED to be able to get out to at least 300 yds(wink, wink, nudge, nudge..know what I mean?) I was looking at the new ACOG with the red dot mounted on top.
http://www.trijicon.com/parts/TA01NSN-DOCW.jpg
But would need to mow a **** load of lawns for that!!!:D

dog2000tj 04-07-2009 03:27 PM

Well Gus, lets take a look at a few set ups,

1. ACOG w/ RMR - about $1500

2. Aimpoint Comp M4 w/ 3x Magnifier - about $1200

3. Eotech 557 w3x Magnifier - about $1000

Shop around for better pricing, good luck.:)

ccd8541 04-07-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergus (Post 91325)
Any thoughts?

http://images28.fotki.com/v997/photo...S18_003-vi.jpg

Plenty of options available for mounting the MRD(mini red dot):
GG&G
LaRue
Pride Fowler
Jprifle

Sights are made by:
Docter
Jprifle
Pride Fowler
Burris
Trijicon

I'm sure I missed a few but that will give you some ideas.

Chad

supergus 04-07-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 91855)
Well Gus, lets take a look at a few set ups,

1. ACOG w/ RMR - about $1500

2. Aimpoint Comp M4 w/ 3x Magnifier - about $1200

3. Eotech 557 w3x Magnifier - about $1000

Shop around for better pricing, good luck.:)

I wonder what I could get for my mother-in-law:rolleyes: She cooks well:D...

Alek Sandweek 06-18-2009 02:01 PM

Hello, supergus! Why won't you check for the appropriate optics at this spud gun site.