Optics - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Excluding Leupold, who IMO is over priced for the most part
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Then I will ask you this.. if these mid range scopes are just as good or near the same quality as S&B, Ziess, US Optics, why doesn't the military use those instead?
Somewhat contradictory opinion you have there considering Leupold has the lion's share of US military contracts. I don't believe I've ever seen a Zeiss on a military rifle. Not saying there isn't one somewhere, just that I have never seen one.

If you'd like to submit your Zeiss-authored test, I'd be happy to review it. Of course, it will not be given the same weight as a peer-reviewed, independent study that is devoid of marketing bias but, it could be instructive nonetheless.

Last edited by lucznik; 02-22-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Let's make a deal. You hunt with your Bushnell and Tasco and tell all the newbies how great they are.

I'll hunt with my Swaroski and Nikon and tell all of the newbies how great they are.

And the newbies can choose for themselves.
Again, you're failing to READ what is actually written.

What I told the "newbies" (and everyone else for that matter) is to buy the best they can afford without going into unwise debt and to make that choice independent of the price tag on their rifle.

I'm not sure what part of that causes you so much grief.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #33

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik

Somewhat contradictory opinion you have there considering Leupold has the lion's share of US military contracts. I don't believe I've ever seen a Zeiss on a military rifle. Not saying there isn't one somewhere, just that I have never seen one.
I was inferring S&B and US Optics are on the the long range rifles, I should of specified. And actually I'd put money that Trijicon, EoTech, or Aimpoint have the most contracts since only the Designated Marksman of a unit has a low powered, variable zoom which yes, is usually a Leupold Mark Series. Every other soldier has a red dot of some sort or an ACOG

Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #34

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Also, the Ziess test is on 3point5.com but unless up I work at one of the stores it supports, you cannot get into it and I no longer work for academy sports & outdoors so I no longer can access it either or I would be more than happy to show you. I suppose you can just take it with a grain of salt but here is a review on both Ziess and a higher end Leupold

http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/zeiss-conquest-45-14x50-mc-target-scope.html?m=1

Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

I'd put money that Trijicon, EoTech, or Aimpoint have the most contracts since only the Designated Marksman of a unit has a low powered, variable zoom which yes, is usually a Leupold Mark Series. Every other soldier has a red dot of some sort or an ACOG
I don't disagree with this. I hadn't considered them at all - though, that's probably because I don't really consider them scopes; at least not in the traditional hunting sense.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
Also, the Ziess test is on 3point5.com but unless up I work at one of the stores it supports, you cannot get into it and I no longer work for academy sports & outdoors so I no longer can access it either or I would be more than happy to show you. I suppose you can just take it with a grain of salt but here is a review on both Ziess and a higher end Leupold

http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/zeiss-conquest-45-14x50-mc-target-scope.html?m=1
It's an interesting review and I don't doubt the guy's sincerity. However, everything he writes is purely subjective and anecdotal. No objective testing to be found.

I'm not saying he's wrong; just that there's no objective, verifiable data to offered to support (or contradict) his suppositions.