optics for .308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > optics for .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default optics for .308

i have just purchased my first rifle. a Tikka T3 lite chamberd in .308 Win.
the gun is going to be predominately used for target shooting, however it will see a decent amount of hunting use.
eventually, when i become a better shooter, i would like to (attempt) to shoot to the .308's capabilities-long range shooting. to do so, i need a quality scope.
any recomendations on how powerful (and expensive) of a scope i should be looking at?

also, this may sound silly or unpracticle, but ive been doing some research and spoken to a few friends, and a rifle is usually zero'd to a certain distance, and if you want to shoot shorter, or longer you either have to guess for bullet drop or re-zero for a new distance. is it worth getting a distance adjustable scope where you can figure out at what values to have the verticle and horizontale adjustment knobs.

cheers, Nik.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #2

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I assume in your post that you are really looking for optics that you can calculate the range to your target. You will need to know your range to target to to figure the correct drop to adjust the elevation to hit the target. That type of optics would be most likely a scope with a Mill Dot reticle. The first question you have to ask yourself is; What distances do you want or intend to shoot? It's good to figure this out before you can make a decision on what power of scope you need.

As far as what you can do with a Mill Dot reticle scope, heres a tech article from Premier Reticles on how to use their Mill Dot reticle scopes. Basically it will be very similar regarding the use of other scopes with Mill Dot reticles.

http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-HowToGen2.pdf

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First welcome to the board.

Now good choice on rifle.

For optics it depends a lot on budget, what your doing (Target shooting) and how far away you are shooting at.

I myself prefer Nikon scopes. For a 400 yards and under target shooting and some hunting duties I would look for a nice variable in the power range of 4-12x or 4.5-14x or a 4-16x will do the trick. For hunting you can keep it at 4x for a wide field of view and when target shooting crank it up to the higher power. Bushnell and Weaver are also good scopes. I would stay away from the new Redfield line of scopes from Leupold because they are a two piece tube and the only thing that is good for is fogging up after time.

As far as having a mildot I dislike them myself for one you have to work hard to really learn how to use them. You're more than likely never going to use them and they clutter up your sight picture. I would get a quality scope with a duplex crosshair and learn how to tell distance and you can use hold over (Kentucky Windage) of you can use the scope adjustments to move your POI to your POA (POI= Point Of Impact POA= Point Of Aim).

Nikon 4-16 x 50SF Monarch Riflescopes 8439 8440

Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF Riflescopes FREE S&H 8418, 8419, 8420. Nikon Monarch Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes.

Here is a 3-9x scope even though I hate that power range. For me it never offered anything other than being frustrated because you see too much on the bottom and not enough on the top.
Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 Matte BDC Riflescopes FREE S&H 8464. Nikon Monarch Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes.

Weavers
Weaver V-16 4-16 x 42 mm AO Matte Black Hunting Rifle-Scope FREE S&H 849408, 849409, 849410, 849407, 849414. Weaver Classic V-Series Riflescopes, Weaver Riflescopes.

Weaver Adjustable Objective 40/44 4-12 x 44mm Scope FREE S&H 849540, 849541, 849542. Weaver 40/44 Riflescopes, Weaver Riflescopes.

Weaver 4-16x42 Buck Commander Rifle Scopes FREE S&H 94575, 94576. Weaver Buck Commander Riflescopes, Weaver Riflescopes.

Bushnell
Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 Riflescope Matte Ballistic 324124B Rifle scope FREE S&H 324124B. Bushnell Elite 3200 Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 with Side Focus Riflescope 424164SF FREE S&H 424164SF. Bushnell Elite 4200 Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

Pentax Made by Burris Pentax are decent scopes for a good price.
Pentax 4x-12x40mm Gameseeker 2 Water Proof Hunting Riflescopes FREE S&H 89741, 89746. Pentax Gameseeker II Riflescopes, Pentax Riflescopes.

Pentax 5x 3-15x 50mm Gameseeker Matte Riflescope w/ Precision Plex Reticle 89737 FREE S&H 89737. Pentax Gameseeker Riflescopes, Pentax Riflescopes.

Pentax 4.5-14x42mm Pioneer II Riflescope 89731 FREE S&H 89731. Pentax Pioneer II Riflescopes, Pentax Riflescopes.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

[QUOTE=cpttango30;329337]First welcome to the board.

Now good choice on rifle.

For optics it depends a lot on budget, what your doing (Target shooting) and how far away you are shooting at.

As far as having a mildot I dislike them myself for one you have to work hard to really learn how to use them. You're more than likely never going to use them and they clutter up your sight picture. I would get a quality scope with a duplex crosshair and learn how to tell distance and you can use hold over (Kentucky Windage) of you can use the scope adjustments to move your POI to your POA (POI= Point Of Impact POA= Point Of Aim).

CP has a good point here when it comes to a scope with a mildot reticle with elevation and windage knobs in MOA (Minute Of Angle). Minute of angle equals 1" at 100 yards distance. A scope with this configuration of reticle and knobs will require a bit of math to fiqure a fireing solution. However, a scope with milldot reticle and knobs in mill's (Mill/Mill scope) is relatively easy to use to adjust for your POI. You could also go for a (MOA/MOA) configuration scope. Also, with either configuration of reticle/knob calibrations, you will still have to do some math to figure your distance to target against known size of target.

Now, that being said, if your going to primarly hunt with this rifle and only occasionally target shoot at longer ranges, as CP said, a good scope with a duplex reticle crosshair should fit the bill just fine. Learn that (Kentucky Windage). Also for a .308 Win. cartridge, a scope with 4.5-14 power of whatever brand of scope you decide on would be my choice for variable power range.

Last edited by mrm14; 08-10-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_andonovski View Post
i have just purchased my first rifle. a Tikka T3 lite chamberd in .308 Win.
the gun is going to be predominately used for target shooting, however it will see a decent amount of hunting use.
eventually, when i become a better shooter, i would like to (attempt) to shoot to the .308's capabilities-long range shooting. to do so, i need a quality scope.
any recomendations on how powerful (and expensive) of a scope i should be looking at?

also, this may sound silly or unpracticle, but ive been doing some research and spoken to a few friends, and a rifle is usually zero'd to a certain distance, and if you want to shoot shorter, or longer you either have to guess for bullet drop or re-zero for a new distance. is it worth getting a distance adjustable scope where you can figure out at what values to have the verticle and horizontale adjustment knobs.

cheers, Nik.
I shoot my .308 out to 900 yds and 3-15x works fine for me. IMO avoid anything over 20x... too much for many hunting situations and the potential for mirage effect when shooting targets means turning it down anyway.
All the scopes mentioned above are good scopes, I have a Nikon on a .223 and like it a lot. Also look at Vortex, they have something in every price range and a great warranty.

Regarding holdover vs. adjustable turrets. It depends on the type of target shooting you will be doing .. .fun stuff where a miss is just a miss or competition where a miss means a bit more.
A .308 is very capable out to 1000 yds+ and depending on you ammo, you will need significant elev adjustment in a scope to move the POI that far out ... many scopes won't have that range of adjustment and a mount with an angled base is required ( you will see references to a "20 MOA base" etc) or you will have to holdover at longer ranges.

I shoot a match that has 60 targets ranging from 260 to 900 yds and I need to be within 1 MOA to score so adjustable turrets that are accurate and repeatable were at the top of my list. I'm not doing any math, my dope sheet tells me how many clicks I need for a given distance and I have a zero stop to go right back to my starting point. Features to consider when looking at scopes.

If your targets are a known distance or you have a range finder the mildot reticles may not be needed for elevation but they are very handy for windage or if you don't have time to crank the knobs when hunting. They can be used for measure range but a laser range finder works better. If you shoot moving targets you may prefer some sort of mildot reticle. I have the GEN II XR mentioned in the link above and I like it A LOT

Good luck

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

thanks everyone for ur advice.

TCH2FLY,
what brand scope do you use for your long range shooting?
when i go to the range for long distance shooting, i know the distance of what im shooting at, or ill have a laser range finder. i just dont want to be stuck on one 'zero' distance. i want a scope with windage and elevation knobs where, after some practise i can have a sheet of vaues at what to set the elevation/windage knobs to for certain distances. what price range are these scopes in? and how powerfull does a scope need to be to be able to clearly see and shoot out to the maximum capabilities of the .308

Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a Premier Reticle Heritage 3-15x50 and I think it is a fantastic scope but it is heavy (not great for a hunting rifle), carries a hefty price tag and may not be the place to start.

There are generally two schools of thought,
"buy once ... cry once. I'm getting the best regardless"
and
"its HOW MUCH? my wife will make me sleep in the gun safe"

It doesn't matter which which group you are in, do some research and figure out the the features you need, then buy within your budget. Plenty of quality out there at all price points

There are other things to consideration that we haven't touch.
If you are interested in long range shooting with high end optics this is a good read ...
Demigod LLC Longe Range optics
This has some good info as well ...
Sniper's Hide Optic selection

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 08-12-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #8

TCH2FLY,
i want a scope like ur premier, but without the prmier price tag. i did a bit of research, and corrent me if im wrong, but the 3-15x50 is roughly 2.5k?
thats double and a half of what my rifle is worth.
id love something with the similar performance and adjustablity for the 1000$ price range. what do you recomend?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you have 1k to spend on a scope now your talking.

Hnads down I would put a Sightron on before any other scope in its price range. That includes Leupold or Ziess...

Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60mm Side Focus Riflescope FREE S&H SIIISS1050x60LRTD, SIIISS1050x60LRFCH. Sightron Riflescopes.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescopes-by-price-10.html

While sightron would be my pick many chooses Leupold which is fine I think you can get much better scopes for less money than what your paying for a Leupold 75% of the price is the name. My $500 monarch will hang with the $800 + VX-3 line of Leupolds.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #10

just had a look at both those sites...
and the 10-50 magnification scope i think is a bit much as a base magnification? yes, i will be using it (eventually) for long range target shooting, however didnt you say thats too much for hunting? (however it will see more range time then hunting time) apart from that down fall (and im not exactly sure it IS a downfall) i really like that scope.

and just out of curiosity, how strong is 50 times magnification?
lets say at 700 meters how clearly can u see with 50 times magnification?